How do I find the equation of a hyperbola with given foci and asymptotes?

• Thread starter themadhatter1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hyperbola
In summary, to find the equation of a hyperbola with its center at the origin, given the foci and asymptotes, we can use the equation for the asymptotes of a hyperbola with a horizontal transverse axis and the equation for a hyperbola centered at (0,0) and having a horizontal transverse axis in standard form. By setting c=8, we can find the values of a and b, which will allow us to write the equation.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the hyperbola with it's center at the origin.

Foci:(8,0),(-8,0) Asymptotes: y=4x, y=-4x

Homework Equations

Equation for the asymptotes of a hyperbola with a horizontal transverse axis
[tex]y=k\pm\frac{b}{a}(x-h)[/tex]

Equation for a hyperbola centered at (0,0) and having a horizontal transverse axis in standard form

[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I need to find a and b to write the equation.

I can deduce from the information given that c=8 which is the distance from the center to a focus.

Therefore I can declare that [tex]a^2+b^2=64[/tex] and from looking at the asymptotes I can also declare that [tex]\frac{b}{a}=4[/tex]. I don't know how to solve a system of equations with division in it. Is there something I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Put b = 4a from the second equation in the first equation and solve for a. Then solve for b.

LCKurtz said:
Put b = 4a from the second equation in the first equation and solve for a. Then solve for b.
Ahh.. Yes.

Thanks!

Related to How do I find the equation of a hyperbola with given foci and asymptotes?

1. What is the general equation of a hyperbola?

The general equation of a hyperbola is (x - h)2 / a2 - (y - k)2 / b2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola and a and b are the distances from the center to the vertices along the x and y axes, respectively.

2. What is the difference between a horizontal and vertical hyperbola?

A horizontal hyperbola has its transverse axis (the line passing through the center and vertices) along the x-axis, while a vertical hyperbola has its transverse axis along the y-axis. This results in a different form of the general equation, depending on the orientation of the hyperbola.

3. How do you graph a hyperbola?

To graph a hyperbola, first find the center and the vertices using the general equation. Then, plot these points on a coordinate plane. Next, plot the co-vertices (the points on the minor axis) and the foci (the points inside the hyperbola that determine its shape). Finally, connect the points with a smooth curve to complete the graph.

4. What is the eccentricity of a hyperbola?

The eccentricity of a hyperbola is a measure of its shape and is equal to the distance between the center and one of the foci (c) divided by the distance between the center and a vertex (a). It is always greater than 1 for a hyperbola.

5. How is a hyperbola used in real life?

Hyperbolas have many real-life applications, such as in satellite orbits, antenna design, and the study of electromagnetic fields. They can also be used in economics to model the relationship between price and demand. Additionally, hyperbolas can be found in nature, such as in the shape of a rainbow or the trajectory of a comet.