Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between hyperbolic cosine and cosine

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I am considering the hyperbola [itex]x^2-y^2=1[/itex] and its intersection with the line y=mx. The positive x-coordinate of the intersection is given by: [tex]x=\sqrt{\frac{1}{1-\tan^2\alpha}}=\sqrt{\frac{\cos^2 \alpha}{\cos(2\alpha)}}=\cos\alpha \sqrt{\sec(2\alpha)}[/tex] where we used the identity [itex]m=\tan\alpha[/itex].

However, using Euler formulas for cosines does not seem to give the relationship: [itex]\cosh(\alpha)=\cos(i\alpha)[/itex].
    Am I using a wrong geometrical definition of hyperbolic cosine? I mean, perhaps the hyperbolic cosine is not simply the x-coordinate of the intersection of a ray with the hyperbola?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hello mnb96! :smile:

(i'm not quite following your question, but anyway …)

you need to use m = tanhα :wink:

4. Oct 20, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you are. The line y= mx has nothing to do with it. 'cos(t)' is defined as the x-coordinate of the point (x,y) at distance t around the circumference of the circle, [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex] from (1, 0).

So 'cosh(t)' is the x-coordinate of (x, y) at distance t around the curve [itex]x^2- y^2= 1[/itex] from (1, 0).

5. Oct 20, 2012 #4
    thanks for your replies!

@Hallsofivy: when you said "distance around the circumference" you meant distance in terms of arc length of the circumference of the unit circle?

6. Oct 20, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes he did :smile:

arc-distance round a circle is proportional to angle,

and arc-distance round a hyperbola is proportional to hyperangle :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook