1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hypocycloid: A Mysterious Curve.

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The hypocycloid is the plane curve generated by a point ##P## on the circumference of a circle ##C##, as this circle rolls with out sliding on the interior of the fixed circle ##C_0##. If ##C## has a fixed radius of ##r## and ##C_0## is at the origin with radius ##r_0## and the initial location of the point ##P## is at ##(r_{0}, 0)##, what is the representation of a hypocycloid

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I didn't know how to start but to draw a picture. then I thought about the Epicycloid... these curves are related? I didn't know what to do so I played around, and I don't know if they are right or not. s.th. ##\delta_{0} = ((r+r_{0})/(r_{0}))\theta## ##(r+r_{0})cos(\delta_{0})-r cos(\delta_{0}) + (r+r_{0})sin(\delta_{0}) + r sin(\delta_{0})## I know this isn't right but just what I was thinking they could be...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Mar 1, 2013 #3
    That isn't much help, =/ I thought someone would be able to work out the problem and tell me how they got the answer because it doesn't make sense, I am not looking for the answer I am looking for a solution... I know it sounds redundant, but look... I know the answer already but I do not know how to reach the solution, so if anyone can help me out that would be awesome

5. Mar 1, 2013 #4
    Well, first you can try to express it parametrically. Let t be a time parameter (letting the circle roll with constant angular velocity,) and try to find x and y in terms of t. Then it's possible to just convert back to rectangular by solving for a relationship between x and y.

6. Mar 1, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok, that was not clear. In the equations at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocycloid#Properties, the centre of the small circle, O', is at location (R-r, θ) in polar coordinates. Suppose P is at (r, ψ) in polar coordinates relative to O'. rψ = (R-r)θ (do you see why?). Converting to Cartesian and adding up the x and y coordinates separately gives the equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted