1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressing general rotation in terms of tensors

1. Feb 15, 2014 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A general rotation through angle ##a## about the axis ##\underline{n}##, where ##\underline{n}^2 = 1## is given by $$R(a,\underline{n}) = \exp(-ia\underline{n} \cdot \underline{T}),$$ where ##(T_k)_{ij} = -i\epsilon_{ijk}##. By expanding the exponential as a power series in ##a##, and explicitly summing the resulting series, show that $$R_{ij}(a,\underline{n}) = \delta_{ij}\cos a + n_i n_j (1-\cos a) - \epsilon_{ijk} n_k \sin a$$ using ##(\underline{n} \cdot \underline{T})_{ij}^2 = \delta_{ij} - n_i n_j## and ##(\underline{n} \cdot \underline{T})_{ij}^3 = (\underline{n} \cdot \underline{T})_{ij}##, (which I derived earlier)

2. Relevant equations
    ##\exp(ix) = \cos x + i\sin x## and cos and sin power series.

3. The attempt at a solution
    $$R(a,\underline{n})_{ij} = [\cos(a (\underline{n} \cdot \underline{T})) - i\sin(a (\underline{n} \cdot \underline{T}))]_{ij}$$ Reexpressing in terms of the Taylor series for sin and cos: $$\left[\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{(a (\underline{n} \cdot \underline{T}))^{2k}}{(2k)!} - i \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{(a (\underline{n} \cdot \underline{T}))^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)!}\right]_{ij}$$ Reorganising the even and odd terms gives $$\left[\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{(\delta_{ij} - n_i n_j)^k}{(2k)!} - i \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (-1)^k\frac{[(\delta_{ij} - n_i n_j)^{2k} (-i\epsilon_{ijk}n_k)]}{(2k+1)!}\right]$$

I am not really sure how to progress. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2014 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi CAF123! :smile:

(btw, you missed out all the aks :wink:
    sooo you should have no powers of ##(\delta_{ij} - n_i n_j)## or of ##(\underline{n} \cdot \underline{T})_{ij}## above 1 ! :smile:

4. Feb 16, 2014 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

Hi tiny-tim,

I was able to progress and obtained for ##k \geq 1##, ##(\underline{n} \cdot \underline{T})_{ij}^{2k} = \delta_{ij} - n_in_j## and for ##k \geq 0##, ##(\underline{n} \cdot \underline{T})_{ij}^{2k+1} = (\underline{n} \cdot \underline{T})_{ij}##.

For the case ##k=0## in ##(\underline{n} \cdot \underline{T})_{ij}^{2k}##, I was wondering if this should be ##\delta_{ij}##. If so, then I have at the end $$\delta_{ij} + (\delta_{ij} - n_i n_j) (\cos a - 1) - \epsilon_{ijl} n_l \sin a = \text{result}$$ My reasoning being that for all other powers of ##k=0## the result is a matrix, so for ##k=0##, the result should also be a matrix, (= the identity, which is naturally ##\delta_{ij}##.) Thanks.

5. Feb 16, 2014 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi CAF123! :wink:
    Yes, A0 for any matrix is the identity, I,

so (A0)ij = δij :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted