1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B (Hypothetical) 6ft hardened-steel cube dropped at 100 meters

1. Jul 23, 2017 #1
    During a random conversation with a friend, we got onto the subject of dropping a 6ft cubed cube of Hardened-Steel from the height of 100 meters.

I ended up getting really curious about the energy it would cause, as well as the potential impact/destruction it would cause on the area.

Considering the large weight of the object I'd imagine it'd have a decent result, however, because I'm not particularly great with this stuff I thought that I'd ask people who are actually good at Physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2017 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You can work this out for yourself. You know the volume of your cube and google will find you the density of steel; this gives you the mass. The energy in Joules released by a mass ##m## falling from height ##h## is ##mgh##. You can compare that with the energy per kilogram released by by various explosives (again, google is your friend) to get a sense of just how destructive the impact might be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted