Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B (Hypothetical) 6ft hardened-steel cube dropped at 100 meters

1. Jul 23, 2017 #1
    During a random conversation with a friend, we got onto the subject of dropping a 6ft cubed cube of Hardened-Steel from the height of 100 meters.

I ended up getting really curious about the energy it would cause, as well as the potential impact/destruction it would cause on the area.

Considering the large weight of the object I'd imagine it'd have a decent result, however, because I'm not particularly great with this stuff I thought that I'd ask people who are actually good at Physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2017 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You can work this out for yourself. You know the volume of your cube and google will find you the density of steel; this gives you the mass. The energy in Joules released by a mass ##m## falling from height ##h## is ##mgh##. You can compare that with the energy per kilogram released by by various explosives (again, google is your friend) to get a sense of just how destructive the impact might be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted