(Hypothetical) 6ft hardened-steel cube dropped at 100 meters

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DdraigiSun
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cube Hypothetical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
DdraigiSun
During a random conversation with a friend, we got onto the subject of dropping a 6ft cubed cube of Hardened-Steel from the height of 100 meters.

I ended up getting really curious about the energy it would cause, as well as the potential impact/destruction it would cause on the area.

Considering the large weight of the object I'd imagine it'd have a decent result, however, because I'm not particularly great with this stuff I thought that I'd ask people who are actually good at Physics.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can work this out for yourself. You know the volume of your cube and google will find you the density of steel; this gives you the mass. The energy in Joules released by a mass ##m## falling from height ##h## is ##mgh##. You can compare that with the energy per kilogram released by by various explosives (again, google is your friend) to get a sense of just how destructive the impact might be.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CWatters and russ_watters