• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

I am a little stuck on an engineering question to do with Photovoltic cells.

• Thread starter Kimbo
  • Start date
I need to calculate how much power will be generated by a solar cell at AM1.5. The cell is 1.5x3.5cm^2.

I know that it is to do with the area of the cell i just dont understand how to work out the power generated without knowing things like the material. Any help would be appreciated.

Answers and Replies

rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I need to calculate how much power will be generated by a solar cell at AM1.5. The cell is 1.5x3.5cm^2.

I know that it is to do with the area of the cell i just dont understand how to work out the power generated without knowing things like the material. Any help would be appreciated.
Don't feel bad; neither can anyone else, not without knowing something about the material etc.

berkeman
Mentor

Tell us what "AM1.5" means. If you assume 100% efficiency, how much power can the solar cell generate? And what are more typical efficiencies for solar cells now?