I am a lot of problems with parametrizing surfaces

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surfaces
In summary, the conversation is about how to evaluate the surface integral for the region enclosed by a cylinder and two planes. The main topic of discussion is how to parametrize the surface in order to solve the integral. The conversation includes suggestions for breaking the surface into three separate pieces and using different coordinate systems, such as cylindrical coordinates, to parametrize each piece. The conversation also discusses the concept of differentiability and the need for multiple functions to describe the surface due to its sharp edges.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Evaluate the surface integral

[tex]\iint_S xy \;dS[/tex]

S is the boundary is the boundary of the region enclosed by the cylinder [tex]x^2 + z^2 =1[/tex] and the planes y = 0 and x + y = 2

2. The Solutions

[PLAIN]http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8827/unledje.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't understand a thing in the solutions, especially the parametrization. I just don't even know where to begin. I know the enclosed surface, but I just don't know the math to write it out.

I can compute the integral fine, but I can't parametrize the surface.

I drew a picture, but I can't upload it.

This is what I have so far

[tex]y \in [0,2-x][/tex]

[tex]x \in [-1,1][/tex]

And I don't have a good clue about the ranges for the z values...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Based upon the intervals you wrote down, it looks like you are trying to find a single parametrization for the whole surface- don't try that. This will not work because the pieces of the surface, i.e. the cylinder and the two planes, have different normal vectors.

1) Do you see why they broke S up into 3 separate surfaces?
2) Do you know how to parametrize a cylinder (whose axis lies on a Cartesian coordinate axis) and a plane?

To parametrize a surface you need two parameters.
One of the planes is y=0, which means that x and z are independent variables. So a parametrization for this plane in rectangular coordinates is
r = < x, 0, z >. However, since you know that this plane intersects a cylinder, you may want to change to cylindrical coordinates. (Then again since you are integrating xy over this surface, you don't need calculate anything for this plane. Do you see why?)

What about the other plane?

This particular cylinder has its axis on the y-axis, rather than the z-axis, so y is an independent variable. If you use cylindrical coordinates, which of r or [itex]\theta[/itex]
is constant in the parametrization of the cylinder?

Generally speaking "nice" function is differentiable. Any time a surface has sharp edges, as where the cylinder meets the planes, you cannot describe it with a single differentiable function. Any point in 3 space has "position vector",
[itex]\vec{r}= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex]

Every point in the plane y= 0 has the obvious position vector [itex]\vec{r}(x, z)= x\vec{i}+ z\vec{k}[/itex]. Every point in the plane x+ y= 2 satisifies y= 2- x so you can write its position vector [itex]\vec{r}(x,z)= x\vec{i}+ (2- x)\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex]. Finally, since [itex]cos^2(\theta)+ sin^2(\theta)= 1[/itex], we can set [itex]x= cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]z= sin(\theta)[/itex] for the the cylinder [itex]x^2+ z^2= 1[/itex].

Ok thanks guys looks like I was just making iths more difficult than it needs to be trying to parametrize the whole thing

1. What does it mean to parametrize a surface?

Parametrizing a surface means representing the surface in terms of one or more independent variables. This allows for the creation of equations or functions that describe the surface's geometry and can be used for further analysis or calculations.

2. Why is parametrizing surfaces important in mathematics and science?

Parametrizing surfaces allows for a more efficient and precise way of studying and analyzing complex geometric shapes. It also helps in solving equations and equations involving these surfaces, making it an essential tool in many branches of mathematics and science, such as physics and engineering.

3. What are some common challenges or problems with parametrizing surfaces?

Some common challenges with parametrizing surfaces include finding an appropriate set of independent variables, determining the correct range for these variables, and dealing with singularities or discontinuities in the parametrization. Additionally, some surfaces may be difficult or impossible to parametrize accurately.

4. How do scientists and mathematicians parametrize surfaces?

The method of parametrization depends on the specific surface being studied and the objectives of the analysis. In general, it involves breaking down the surface into smaller, simpler components and finding a set of equations or functions that describe each component. These equations can then be combined to parametrize the entire surface.

5. Can parametrizing surfaces be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, parametrizing surfaces has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, it can be used to model the shape of objects in 3D space for computer-aided design or to analyze the movement of fluids over complex surfaces in fluid dynamics.