1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametrization of a curve(the intersection of two surfaces)

1. Apr 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am looking to find the parametrization of the curve found by the intersection of two surfaces. The surfaces are defined by the following equations: z=x^2-y^2 and z=x^2+xy-1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't seem to separate the variables well enough to find parametric equations of this curve. I really don't like asking for answers on homework, but help defining one of the variables would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2015 #2
    Solve easily for x=f(y). Paremetrization will be y=t, x=f(t).

4. Apr 11, 2015 #3
    So I already have x=(1/y)-y^2 and y=t and therefore x=(1-t^2)/t. Then z=(1-2t)/t^2. Is this the parametrization? If so, I have been sitting here for hours trying to find a trig relationship. It just looks too simple.

5. Apr 11, 2015 #4
    The parametrization of a curve is done with 1 variable t, but the parametrization of a surface needs 2 variables.

6. Apr 11, 2015 #5
    Wait, so am I thinking about my parametrization wrong? Can I not define x, y, and z in terms of parameter t? In what ways is my answer wrong for my parametrization? I'm sorry if I'm asking so many quick questions but I really would like to understand this concept. So I had solved to x(t), y(t), and z(t) by manipulating the equations of two surfaces, z=x^2-y^2 and z=x^2+xy-1, and from this is gained a parametrization of x(t)=(1-t^2)/t, y(t)=t, and z(t)=(1-2t)/t^2 and I write this as r(t)=<x(t),y(t),z(t)> which is defined when t does not equal 0. Thank you for all your help so far.

7. Apr 11, 2015 #6
    Ok i just thought you were trying to parametrize the surface z=... but i see now what you were after.

8. Apr 11, 2015 #7
    So this form I found is a good final form? I feel like I'm missing something? Thank you for everything! If this is true I can finally sleep before work!

9. Apr 11, 2015 #8
    slight mistake for z(t) it should be z(t)=(1-2t^2)/t^2. i guess probably a typo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted