I am a math major but I want to go to grad school for physics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
zzsch001
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am currently pursuing a BS in pure math. I have recently developed an interest in pursuing graduate studies in physics/astronomy, and I have decided to at least minor in physics. I am wondering what courses I should make sure to have to prepare for graduate school if I cannot double major. Thank you for your help to whoever responds.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
zzsch001 said:
I am currently pursuing a BS in pure math. I have recently developed an interest in pursuing graduate studies in physics/astronomy, and I have decided to at least minor in physics. I am wondering what courses I should make sure to have to prepare for graduate school if I cannot double major. Thank you for your help to whoever responds.

Classical Mechanics (Goldstein)
Classical Electrodynamics (Griffiths - level 1, Jackson - level 2 if possible)
Quantum Mechanics (Sakurai, Griffiths)
Statistical Mechanics (Reif)

These are the 4 major subjects you should study. You will probably also need to study some specialized topics like Relativity and Atomic/Nuclear Physics for the subject GRE (if you plan to take it).