I am a math major but I want to go to grad school for physics

In summary, the individual is currently pursuing a BS in pure math but has developed an interest in pursuing graduate studies in physics/astronomy. They have decided to at least minor in physics and are seeking advice on which courses to take to prepare for graduate school, as they are unable to double major. The recommended courses include Classical Mechanics, Classical Electrodynamics, Quantum Mechanics, and Statistical Mechanics. They may also need to study specialized topics like Relativity and Atomic/Nuclear Physics for the subject GRE.
zzsch001
I am currently pursuing a BS in pure math. I have recently developed an interest in pursuing graduate studies in physics/astronomy, and I have decided to at least minor in physics. I am wondering what courses I should make sure to have to prepare for graduate school if I cannot double major. Thank you for your help to whoever responds.

Physics news on Phys.org
zzsch001 said:
I am currently pursuing a BS in pure math. I have recently developed an interest in pursuing graduate studies in physics/astronomy, and I have decided to at least minor in physics. I am wondering what courses I should make sure to have to prepare for graduate school if I cannot double major. Thank you for your help to whoever responds.

Classical Mechanics (Goldstein)
Classical Electrodynamics (Griffiths - level 1, Jackson - level 2 if possible)
Quantum Mechanics (Sakurai, Griffiths)
Statistical Mechanics (Reif)

These are the 4 major subjects you should study. You will probably also need to study some specialized topics like Relativity and Atomic/Nuclear Physics for the subject GRE (if you plan to take it).

I can understand your interest in pursuing graduate studies in physics/astronomy even though you are currently majoring in pure math. It is not uncommon for students to develop new interests and career goals during their undergraduate studies. In fact, having a background in math can be an advantage for pursuing graduate studies in physics as both fields involve a strong foundation in mathematical concepts.

Since you are unable to double major, I would suggest focusing on taking courses that will help you build a strong foundation in physics. Some essential courses to consider would be classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. These courses will provide you with a solid understanding of the fundamental principles of physics and prepare you for more advanced studies in the field.

Additionally, I would recommend taking courses in astronomy and astrophysics to further develop your interest in the subject and gain a better understanding of the application of physics principles in the study of celestial objects. You may also want to consider taking courses in computer science and programming, as these skills are becoming increasingly important in the field of physics and astronomy.

Furthermore, it would be beneficial to engage in research opportunities or internships in physics or astronomy to gain hands-on experience and make connections in the field. This will not only enhance your understanding of the subject but also make you a competitive candidate for graduate programs.

Overall, pursuing a minor in physics and taking relevant courses will prepare you for graduate studies in physics/astronomy. It is important to also reach out to advisors and faculty in the physics department at your university for guidance and advice on the specific requirements for graduate programs you are interested in. Good luck on your academic journey!

What are the main differences between math and physics?

Math and physics are closely related fields, but they have distinct differences. Math deals with abstract concepts and theories, while physics is more concerned with the physical world and how it behaves. Math often provides the language and tools for understanding and describing physical phenomena, but physics is focused on observing and explaining these phenomena.

Do I need a strong background in physics to pursue a graduate degree in the subject?

While having a strong foundation in physics can certainly be helpful, it is not always necessary. Many graduate programs in physics welcome students from diverse academic backgrounds, including math majors. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of fundamental physics concepts and the ability to apply mathematical principles to solve problems.

What can I expect in terms of coursework and research in a physics graduate program?

Coursework in a physics graduate program typically includes advanced topics in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. Depending on your specific interests, you may also take courses in areas such as astrophysics, particle physics, or condensed matter physics. In terms of research, you will have the opportunity to work closely with faculty members on cutting-edge projects in your chosen field of study.

Will my math background be an advantage or disadvantage in a physics graduate program?

Having a strong math background can be an advantage in a physics graduate program, as many physics concepts are based on mathematical principles. However, you may also encounter new and challenging physics concepts that require a different way of thinking. It is important to be open to learning and adapting to new approaches and techniques.

What career paths can I pursue with a graduate degree in physics?

A graduate degree in physics can open up a variety of career opportunities in fields such as research, academia, industry, and government. Some common career paths for physics graduates include working as a research scientist, data analyst, engineer, or educator. Additionally, many physics graduate programs offer opportunities for internships and industry collaborations, providing valuable experience and connections for future job opportunities.