1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am having trouble with a problem

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1
    I am given the second order nonlinear homogeneous DE and I am supposed to find the equilibrium solutions for it.

u"+(u-1)u=0

I tried substuting u'=v but got stuck when I wasn't given initial values and couldn't solve for the constants after integrating.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2
    If you use the substitution:

[tex]u=y[/tex]
    [tex]v=y'[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dv}{du}=\frac{y''}{y'}[/tex]

from which we have:

[tex]y=u[/tex]
    [tex]y'=v[/tex]
    [tex]y''=v\frac{dv}{du}[/tex]

You end up with a first order DE:

[tex]vdv=(1-u)udu[/tex]

Which is separable. The inverse substitution in the solution gives then a new first order equation in [itex]y'[/itex], which can be solved because it is also separable. However the integral is complicated. The end solution will be:

[tex]x=\int\frac{dy}{\sqrt{y^2-\frac{2}{3}y^3+K_1}}[/tex]

Perhaps you have boundary conditions which can make life easier, although I think it will stay an unpleasant integral. Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  4. Apr 17, 2009 #3
    There seems to be something wrong with the latex generation, so here my edit:

I rewrote the equation as:
    [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+y(y-1)=0[/tex]

5. Apr 28, 2009 #4
    I have tried to solve several times a Laplace transform with I.V.P's. There is what it looks like:

y" - y' -2y = F(t); where y(0) = 0, y'(0) = 0 and F(t) = 1 if 0<= t < 2
    = t^2 + 1 if 2 <= t < 5
    = t^2 + t if t => 5
    I'm not having problem setting up but having trouble once I have everything on the right hand side. Unless I'm not using me brain the partial fractions look insane.

6. Apr 28, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Please do not take over someone else's thread to ask a separate question. Start your own thread.

Solve the problem with F(t)= 1. Calculate the values of y and y' from that function at t= 2 and solve the initial value problem with F(t)= t2+ 1. Calculate the values of y and y' from that problem at t= 5 and solve the initial value problem with F(t)= t2+ t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook