• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

I am having trouble with a problem

• Thread starter 1weasel
  • Start date
I am given the second order nonlinear homogeneous DE and I am supposed to find the equilibrium solutions for it.

u"+(u-1)u=0

I tried substuting u'=v but got stuck when I wasn't given initial values and couldn't solve for the constants after integrating.

Answers and Replies

I am given the second order nonlinear homogeneous DE and I am supposed to find the equilibrium solutions for it.

u"+(u-1)u=0

I tried substuting u'=v but got stuck when I wasn't given initial values and couldn't solve for the constants after integrating.
If you use the substitution:

[tex]u=y[/tex]
[tex]v=y'[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dv}{du}=\frac{y''}{y'}[/tex]

from which we have:

[tex]y=u[/tex]
[tex]y'=v[/tex]
[tex]y''=v\frac{dv}{du}[/tex]

You end up with a first order DE:

[tex]vdv=(1-u)udu[/tex]

Which is separable. The inverse substitution in the solution gives then a new first order equation in [itex]y'[/itex], which can be solved because it is also separable. However the integral is complicated. The end solution will be:

[tex]x=\int\frac{dy}{\sqrt{y^2-\frac{2}{3}y^3+K_1}}[/tex]

Perhaps you have boundary conditions which can make life easier, although I think it will stay an unpleasant integral. Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
There seems to be something wrong with the latex generation, so here my edit:

I rewrote the equation as:
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+y(y-1)=0[/tex]

I have tried to solve several times a Laplace transform with I.V.P's. There is what it looks like:

y" - y' -2y = F(t); where y(0) = 0, y'(0) = 0 and F(t) = 1 if 0<= t < 2
= t^2 + 1 if 2 <= t < 5
= t^2 + t if t => 5
I'm not having problem setting up but having trouble once I have everything on the right hand side. Unless I'm not using me brain the partial fractions look insane.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Please do not take over someone else's thread to ask a separate question. Start your own thread.

Solve the problem with F(t)= 1. Calculate the values of y and y' from that function at t= 2 and solve the initial value problem with F(t)= t2+ 1. Calculate the values of y and y' from that problem at t= 5 and solve the initial value problem with F(t)= t2+ t.