I am having trouble with a problem

• Thread starter 1weasel
  • Start date
In summary, the second order nonlinear homogeneous DE has a first order equation in y', which can be solved because it is also separable. However, the integral is complicated.
1weasel
I am given the second order nonlinear homogeneous DE and I am supposed to find the equilibrium solutions for it.

u"+(u-1)u=0

I tried substuting u'=v but got stuck when I wasn't given initial values and couldn't solve for the constants after integrating.

Physics news on Phys.org
1weasel said:
I am given the second order nonlinear homogeneous DE and I am supposed to find the equilibrium solutions for it.

u"+(u-1)u=0

I tried substuting u'=v but got stuck when I wasn't given initial values and couldn't solve for the constants after integrating.

If you use the substitution:

[tex]u=y[/tex]
[tex]v=y'[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dv}{du}=\frac{y''}{y'}[/tex]

from which we have:

[tex]y=u[/tex]
[tex]y'=v[/tex]
[tex]y''=v\frac{dv}{du}[/tex]

You end up with a first order DE:

[tex]vdv=(1-u)udu[/tex]

Which is separable. The inverse substitution in the solution gives then a new first order equation in [itex]y'[/itex], which can be solved because it is also separable. However the integral is complicated. The end solution will be:

[tex]x=\int\frac{dy}{\sqrt{y^2-\frac{2}{3}y^3+K_1}}[/tex]

Perhaps you have boundary conditions which can make life easier, although I think it will stay an unpleasant integral. Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
There seems to be something wrong with the latex generation, so here my edit:

I rewrote the equation as:
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+y(y-1)=0[/tex]

I have tried to solve several times a Laplace transform with I.V.P's. There is what it looks like:

y" - y' -2y = F(t); where y(0) = 0, y'(0) = 0 and F(t) = 1 if 0<= t < 2
= t^2 + 1 if 2 <= t < 5
= t^2 + t if t => 5
I'm not having problem setting up but having trouble once I have everything on the right hand side. Unless I'm not using me brain the partial fractions look insane.

Please do not take over someone else's thread to ask a separate question. Start your own thread.

Solve the problem with F(t)= 1. Calculate the values of y and y' from that function at t= 2 and solve the initial value problem with F(t)= t2+ 1. Calculate the values of y and y' from that problem at t= 5 and solve the initial value problem with F(t)= t2+ t.

1. What should I do if I am having trouble understanding a problem?

First, try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help you identify where you are getting stuck. Additionally, consider reaching out to a classmate or teacher for help or clarification.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Practice makes perfect! The more problems you work on, the more comfortable you will become with different types of problems and the better you will become at solving them. Also, try to approach problems from different angles and think creatively.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when solving problems?

One common mistake is rushing through a problem without fully understanding it. This can lead to incorrect solutions. Another mistake is not checking your work for errors. It's important to always double-check your answers. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help or seek additional resources if you are unsure about a problem.

4. How can I stay motivated when I am struggling with a problem?

Remind yourself that struggling with a problem is a normal part of the learning process. It's important to stay persistent and keep trying. Take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Also, try to find the fun or interesting aspects of the problem to keep yourself motivated.

5. What can I do if I am consistently struggling with a certain type of problem?

If you are consistently struggling with a certain type of problem, try seeking additional resources or seeking help from a tutor or teacher. You can also try practicing similar problems to improve your skills. Remember to be patient with yourself and know that it takes time to develop problem-solving skills.