I am wondering if I am starting the curve sketching right

• Thread starter frosty8688
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the curve \frac{x}{(x-1)^{2}} has a domain of all x except x ≠ 1 and a y-intercept of 0. It is not an odd or even function and has no symmetry. The horizontal asymptote is 0 and the vertical asymptote is 1. The function is increasing on the interval (-1,1) and decreasing on (-∞,-1) and (1,∞). There is no local maximum, but a local minimum of f(-1) = \frac{-1}{4}.
frosty8688
1. Sketch the curve

2. [itex]\frac{x}{(x-1)^{2}}[/itex]

3. Here's what I have; the domain is all x except x ≠ 1, y-intercept of 0, x-intercept of 0, symmetric about the origin since it is an odd function, horizontal asymptote of 0, vertical asymptote of 1, and for the increasing and decreasing of the function, I'm wondering if I did it right. f'(x) = [itex]\frac{1*(x-1)^{2}-x*2(x-1)*1}{(x-1)^{4}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(x-1)^{2}-2x(x-1)}{(x-1)^{4}}[/itex] = after factoring out the one (x-1) [itex]\frac{-x-1}{(x-1)^{3}}[/itex] Increasing on (-1,1) and decreasing on (-∞,-1), (1,∞). There is no local maximum, because f(1) would result in division by 0 which is impossible. Local minimum of f(-1) = [itex]\frac{-1}{4}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of that is right. But it's certainly not an odd function and symmetric around the origin, is it? Some of the other stuff you've said would contradict that.

Dick said:
A lot of that is right. But it's certainly not an odd function and symmetric around the origin, is it? Some of the other stuff you've said would contradict that.

Based on using f(-x) would result in it being negative divided by positive which would make it an odd function, because it would be f(-x) = -f(x).

frosty8688 said:
Based on using f(-x) would result in it being negative divided by positive which would make it an odd function, because it would be f(-x) = -f(x).

f(1) is undefined. f(-1)=(-1/4) (as you said). That doesn't sound symmetric or odd to me.
(x-1)^2 is not an even function.

So the answer would be neither odd or even and no symmetry.

frosty8688 said:
So the answer would be neither odd or even and no symmetry.

Did you sketch the graph? It doesn't look even or odd or symmetric to me. If you agree, then yes.

What is the purpose of curve sketching in mathematics?

The purpose of curve sketching is to visually represent a function or equation by plotting points and drawing a smooth curve through them. This allows us to better understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values.

What are the basic steps for curve sketching?

The basic steps for curve sketching are: 1) finding the domain and range of the function, 2) identifying any intercepts, asymptotes, and symmetry, 3) determining the intervals of increase and decrease, 4) locating any local maximum or minimum points, and 5) sketching the curve using all of the above information.

How do I know if I am starting the curve sketching correctly?

You can ensure that you are starting the curve sketching correctly by first understanding the basic steps and then following them accurately. It is also helpful to double check your work and make sure that you have correctly identified all key points and intervals.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in curve sketching?

Some common mistakes to avoid in curve sketching include: not identifying all key points and intervals, not accurately plotting points, and not drawing a smooth curve through the points. It is also important to check for any mathematical errors, such as incorrectly finding the domain or range.

Can I use technology to assist with curve sketching?

Yes, there are many online tools and graphing calculators that can help with curve sketching. However, it is important to understand the manual process and be able to sketch a curve by hand as well. Technology should be used as a supplement, not a replacement, for understanding and learning the concepts of curve sketching.