I can't deduce the third view of an engineering drawing

In summary, the conversation discusses the algorithmic steps for producing a third view from two existing views. The person is looking for an algorithm to follow and mentions that the subject is not given much attention in famous books but is important in their school. They also believe that everyone can do it and that it is essential in their school. However, there are concerns about whether it can be done in all cases and the definition of a "removed view" is questioned. The conversation also touches on the use of isometric views and the possibility of developing a third view from two views.
AhmedHesham
Hi
What are the general algorithmic steps of producing a third view from existing two. I can't do it for all cases. So I am searching for an algorithm to follow.
Famous books don't pay a lot of attention to the subject. But in my school it is ! Can someone please help me with the steps. And by the way I believe in my mental ablities so don't say the problem within me. I believe everyone can do it!

Engineering news on Phys.org
AhmedHesham said:
I can't do it for all cases.
Are you sure it can be done at all? Can you show some cases where you have been able to do it?

http://getdrawings.com/img2/3-views-of-isometric-drawing-52.jpg

1582218811243.png

Last edited:
Likes AhmedHesham
AhmedHesham said:
I can visualize this
No, my point is that there is information in each of the 3 views, and for some objects, you need all 3 views to understand the part. If you only have 2 views, then I don't think you can say that you will always be able to construct the 3rd view.

Likes Lnewqban and AhmedHesham
berkeman said:
No, my point is that there is information in each of the 3 views, and for some objects, you need all 3 views to understand the part. If you only have 2 views, then I don't think you can say that you will always be able to construct the 3rd view.
In some books I read there is a removed view that you want to deduce and construct and in my school there a whole chapter dedicated to the subject I know it's not that interesting and not important but my dang school want it.

AhmedHesham said:
there is a removed view that you want to deduce and construct
Can you attach a file with a couple of drawings? I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by "removed view". Do you mean modifying a view to show a portion of a part removed?

berkeman said:
Can you attach a file with a couple of drawings? I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by "removed view". Do you mean modifying a view to show a portion of a part removed?
In a book named technical drawing for engineering graphics there is a portion named projecting a third view in which he does it and construct a third view from two with the help of the 3d isometric but in my school we do it without the isometric check the book if you can

AhmedHesham said:
construct a third view from two with the help of the 3d isometric
That's going to help a lot having the isometric view (not in all cases, depending on the perspective of the iso view).

I don't have your book. What is a "removed view"?

No I really mean it
Deduce a third view from available two views

The book of my school is in Arabic I can't upload it

As others have said and also in other threads (search "orthographic") it is impossible in some cases. Consider two views which are both just a rectangle: the object could be a cuboid, a triangular prism or a cylinder, at least.
I suppose that if you are given only two views, the assumption must be that all significant features are visible and the third view is the simplest possible that is compatible with the other two.

Would it help to see a suggested procedure for developing the third view of, say Berkeman's drawing?.

Likes Lnewqban
Merlin3189 said:
As others have said and also in other threads (search "orthographic") it is impossible in some cases. Consider two views which are both just a rectangle: the object could be a cuboid, a triangular prism or a cylinder, at least.
I suppose that if you are given only two views, the assumption must be that all significant features are visible and the third view is the simplest possible that is compatible with the other two.

Would it help to see a suggested procedure for developing the third view of, say Berkeman's drawing?.
I agree with you
But it may be like constructing the projections of a point... If you have two the third projection of the point is completely specified.
It's actually essential in my school... A whole chapter is dedicated to it.

It works for a point. But a line is a collection of points for which you can only definietly match the end points. There is no way of projecting individual points on the line, except the ends, because you don't know where they are.

Likes AhmedHesham
Merlin3189 said:
It works for a point. But a line is a collection of points for which you can only definietly match the end points. There is no way of projecting individual points on the line, except the ends, because you don't know where they are.
Yes that's exactly the problem
But how can you explain that my school made a whole chapter for it and that they will be in the exam.

1. Why is it important to be able to deduce the third view of an engineering drawing?

Being able to deduce the third view of an engineering drawing is important because it allows you to fully understand the object being represented. The third view, also known as the side view, provides crucial information about the depth and proportions of the object. Without this view, it would be difficult to accurately manufacture or replicate the object.

2. What is the third view of an engineering drawing?

The third view of an engineering drawing is the side view of the object being represented. It shows the object as if it were sliced in half and viewed from the side. This view is usually drawn at a right angle to the front view, which is the main view of the object.

3. How can I deduce the third view of an engineering drawing?

To deduce the third view of an engineering drawing, you need to understand the principles of orthographic projection. This involves projecting the object onto a series of planes in order to create multiple views. By following specific rules and techniques, you can accurately deduce the third view from the front and top views of the object.

4. What are some common challenges when trying to deduce the third view of an engineering drawing?

Some common challenges when deducing the third view of an engineering drawing include understanding the concept of orthographic projection, accurately scaling the views, and correctly interpreting the dimensions and features of the object. It may also be challenging to visualize the object in 3D based on 2D views alone.

5. Are there any resources available to help with deducing the third view of an engineering drawing?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with deducing the third view of an engineering drawing. These include textbooks, online tutorials, and software programs specifically designed for engineering drawing. It may also be helpful to consult with a mentor or colleague who has experience with engineering drawings.