I cant see the logic of thes definitions

In summary, if x_n converges to x, then sups of any sequence of limits can only be x; if x_n does not converge, then you don't have limits of which you can take the sups... you have an infinite sequence.
transgalactic
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't the supremum of the limits.

Lim sup means the limit of the supremums. I.e. the reverse of what you were thinking.

You .gif is too small to be read, at least by me.

her is the definition that i got
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6383/18151267.gif [Broken]

transgalactic said:
her is the definition that i got
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6383/18151267.gif [Broken]

He is using an example, this is not a definition. limsup is the limit supremum, that is the limit of the supremums (supremums are a decreasing function on n). In that case the sequence oscillates, so the supremum is 1 and infemum is -1, hence limsup=1 and liminf=-1.

The wiki article is correct. I think the picture is more helpful to remember these.

It doesn't even make sense to take the supremum of limits. Why?

If x_n converges to x, then so does every subsequence, so sups of any sequence of limits can only be x. Conversely, if x_n does not converge, then you don't have limits of which you can take the sups...

1. What does "I can't see the logic of these definitions" mean?

"I can't see the logic of these definitions" is a statement that suggests confusion or disagreement with the reasoning behind a set of definitions. It could imply that the person does not understand the definitions or does not agree with the way they are defined.

2. How can I understand the logic of definitions?

Understanding the logic of definitions requires careful analysis and critical thinking. It involves breaking down each definition into its components and understanding how they relate to each other. It also helps to consider the context and purpose of the definitions.

3. Why is it important to see the logic of definitions?

Seeing the logic of definitions is important because it allows us to understand the meaning and use of words and concepts. It also helps us to communicate effectively and avoid misunderstandings. Additionally, understanding the logic of definitions can help us to think critically and make informed decisions.

4. Can the logic of definitions change?

Yes, the logic of definitions can change over time. As our understanding and knowledge of a subject evolves, we may need to revise or update definitions to reflect these changes. Additionally, different perspectives and cultural influences can also impact the logic of definitions.

5. How can I improve my ability to see the logic of definitions?

Improving your ability to see the logic of definitions takes practice and critical thinking skills. It can be helpful to read and analyze different definitions, compare them, and try to understand the reasoning behind them. Additionally, seeking feedback and engaging in discussions with others can also aid in improving your ability to see the logic of definitions.