1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I cant understand this prove explanation on limit series

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    there is a continues function f(x) and bounded on (x_0,+infinity)
    proove that for every T there is a sequence
    lim [f(x_n +T) - f(x_n)]=0

i was told:
    uppose that [itex]\lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)=a[/itex]. So we know that given any [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex] there exists a [itex]\eta>0[/itex] such that [itex]\eta< x\implies |f(x)-a|<\varepsilon~(1)[/itex], and since [itex]x_n\to \infty[/itex] we may find a [itex]\delta>0[/itex] such that [itex]\delta<n\implies \eta<x_n~(2)[/itex]. Now suppose that [itex]T>0[/itex] (the proof for the other cases is analgous), then choose [itex]\delta[/itex] such that [itex](2)\implies (1)[/itex] then [itex]\left[f\left(x+T\right)-f(x)\right|\leqslant \left|f\left(x+T\right)-a\right|+|f(x)-a|<2\varepsilon[/itex], this implies the result.

but whrn i read this article on limit proves

i learned from the delta proofes article that when you define the delta

it needs to come with
    in our case x_3 goes to infinity
    so the inqueality that i presented not logical

but on the other hand
    it how its done on the article limit proove

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2009 #2

Staff: Mentor

Limits in which x approaches infinity are proved differently than those for which x approaches some finite number a.

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) = L[/tex]

means that for any [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists a number M > 0, such that for any x > M, then |f(x) - L| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

If I want to prove the limit above to you, you tell me how close f(x) has to be to L (you give me [itex]\epsilon[/itex]), and I tell you a number M.

If you're satisfied, we shake hands and go about our business.

If you're not satisfied, you tell me another [itex]\epsilon[/itex] that's even smaller, and I have to find another M (even larger).

And so on, until you're convinced that I can force f(x) as close to L as you like, by specifiying how big x has to be.

Got it?
  4. Jan 22, 2009 #3
    in your explanation M is delta>0
  5. Jan 22, 2009 #4

No. M is generally a pretty large number, while [itex]\delta[/itex] is usually very small. A big difference is the definition I showed doesn't try to get x within [itex]\delta[/itex] of infinity.
  6. Jan 22, 2009 #5
    but he does use delta

for what purpose
  7. Jan 22, 2009 #6

If the limit is as x approaches a finite number a, you use [itex]\delta[/itex], since you want to make x very close to a. I.e., you want to make |x - a| < [itex]\delta[/itex].
    If the limit is as x approaches infinity, that's a different matter, since as I explained earlier, you can't get x within [itex]\delta[/itex] of infinity. You can, however, make x larger than some (presumably large) number M.

I don't think I can make it any clearer than that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?