Limits and integrating over a singularity

In summary: dx=-\lim_{\epsilon\to 0} \left(\frac{1}{x}\biggr |_{-1}^{-\epsilon}+\frac{1}{x}\biggr |_{\epsilon}^{2}\right)= \lim_{\epsilon\to 0}\left(-\frac{1}{\epsilon}+1+1/2-\frac{1}{\epsilon}\right)\to \infty
CuriousParrot
Suppose one needs to evaluate a definite integral over a singularity, like: [itex]-\int_{-1}^3 \frac{1}{x^2} dx[/itex]

The textbook way to do so is to split the integral into two parts around the singularity and take the limit, like so:

[tex]\lim_{b\rightarrow 0} -\int_{-1}^b \frac{1}{x^2} dx[/tex]

and:

[tex]\lim_{c\rightarrow 0} -\int_{c}^3 \frac{1}{x^2} dx[/tex]

and then add the results of the two expressions above. In this case, the integral is not convergent, and one obtains an infinite result from those evaluations.

So far, so good. But here's a question:

What's wrong with just using the same limit for both integrals? Like this:

[tex]-\int_{-1}^3 \frac{1}{x^2} dx = \lim_{c\rightarrow 0} \Bigr( -\int_{-1}^c \frac{1}{x^2} dx -\int_{c}^3 \frac{1}{x^2} dx ~\Bigr)[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{c\rightarrow 0}\Bigr(\frac{1}{x}\Bigr|_{-1}^c + \frac{1}{x}\Bigr|_c^3~\Bigr) [/tex]

The 1/c terms cancel each other out, and a finite result remains. In fact, the divergent terms would always cancel out when trying to integrate over a singularity in this way. Clearly, this is a wrong answer, so an invalid step has been performed above. But what part was wrong, and why? Perhaps it is an error to apply the same limit process to both sides of the split integral at the same time. If so, why can't you do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
CuriousParrot said:
Suppose one needs to evaluate a definite integral over a singularity, like: [itex]-\int_{-1}^3 \frac{1}{x^2} dx[/itex]

The textbook way to do so is to split the integral into two parts around the singularity and take the limit, like so:

This should be
$$ \lim_{b\rightarrow 0^-} -\int_{-1}^b \frac{1}{x^2} dx$$

Similar for the one just below, except that the limit is as c → 0 from above.
CuriousParrot said:
and:

and then add the results of the two expressions above. In this case, the integral is not convergent, and one obtains an infinite result from those evaluations.

[tex]-\int_{-1}^3 \frac{1}{x^2} dx = \lim_{c\rightarrow 0} \Bigr( -\int_{-1}^c \frac{1}{x^2} dx -\int_{c}^3 \frac{1}{x^2} dx ~\Bigr)[/tex]
The two limits are different, and are both one-sided, which you don't show above. In the first integral, the limit is as x → 0 from the left, while in the second integral, the limit is as x → 0 from the right.
CuriousParrot said:
[tex]= \lim_{c\rightarrow 0}\Bigr(\frac{1}{x}\Bigr|_{-1}^c + \frac{1}{x}\Bigr|_c^3~\Bigr) [/tex]

The 1/c terms cancel each other out, and a finite result remains. In fact, the divergent terms would always cancel out when trying to integrate over a singularity in this way. Clearly, this is a wrong answer, so an invalid step has been performed above. But what part was wrong, and why? Perhaps it is an error to apply the same limit process to both sides of the split integral at the same time. If so, why can't you do that?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Mark!

There's something I still don't get, though: shouldn't the limiting behavior of the function be exactly symmetrical on the left and right sides of the singularity (for some functions, like this one)? And as such, wouldn't those 1/c and 1/b terms still cancel each other out?

CuriousParrot said:

and:

I think your arithemetic is wrong:

[tex]-\int_{-1}^{2} \frac{1}{x^2}dx=-\lim_{\epsilon\to 0} \left(\frac{1}{x}\biggr |_{-1}^{-\epsilon}+\frac{1}{x}\biggr |_{\epsilon}^{2}\right)= \lim_{\epsilon\to 0}\left(-\frac{1}{\epsilon}+1+1/2-\frac{1}{\epsilon}\right)\to \infty[/tex]

Now use the same approach with

[tex]\int_{-1}^{2} \frac{1}{x} dx[/tex]

Last edited:
Ahh, perhaps that's it - I see you set up your inner integration bounds as -e and +e, whereas I just used +c in both cases. So, your range of integration never actually includes the singularity, while mine implicitly did. That sounds like a good reason why I'd get the wrong answer.

Hopefully someone will correct me if my interpretation is wrong, but I think I get it now.

CuriousParrot said:
Ahh, perhaps that's it - I see you set up your inner integration bounds as -e and +e, whereas I just used +c in both cases. So, your range of integration never actually includes the singularity, while mine implicitly did. That sounds like a good reason why I'd get the wrong answer.

Hopefully someone will correct me if my interpretation is wrong, but I think I get it now.

That's called a Cauchy Principal-valued integral and I left off the PV just to be annoying. Really, I should have written it as:

[tex]P.V. \int_{-1}^{2} \frac{1}{x^2} dx[/tex]

What is a singularity in math?

A singularity in math refers to a point or value in a function that is undefined or infinite. This can occur when the function approaches a certain value or when there is a discontinuity in the function.

What is a limit in math?

A limit in math refers to the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It is often used to describe the behavior of a function near a singularity or point of discontinuity.

How do you integrate over a singularity?

Integrating over a singularity involves using a technique called "regularization" to smooth out the singularity and make the function integrable. This can be done by replacing the singularity with a different, well-behaved function or by using a specific integration method designed for dealing with singularities.

Why is integrating over a singularity important?

Integrating over a singularity is important in order to accurately calculate the area under a curve or the total value of a function. It also allows for the analysis of functions that may have singularities, which are often encountered in physics and engineering problems.

What are some techniques for dealing with singularities in integration?

Some techniques for dealing with singularities in integration include using the Cauchy principal value, regularization methods, and contour integration. Each technique has its own advantages and is used in different situations depending on the type and behavior of the singularity.