I can't seem to follow the manipulation of the equation

• Thread starter Kasper Larssen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manipulation
In summary, the conversation is about a misunderstanding in algebra and how to get from the first line to the second line in a mathematical equation. The solution is to multiply the numerator and denominator by 2.
Kasper Larssen
Member warned that the homework template must be used
Hello!

In the picture below, i can't seem to understand how they get from the first line, to the second line.

Fal3T

(https://imgur.com/a/Fal3T)

When i write it up as dr/dT on the leftside, and separate the r's and the T's, i get dr/((1/2)*r-(1/16)*r^5)=dT which is not the same as in the picture.

Where do i go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
How is it not the same thing? It is exactly the same thing just factorising out ##r/2## from the denominator.

Kasper Larssen said:
Hello!

In the picture below, i can't seem to understand how they get from the first line, to the second line.

Fal3T

(https://imgur.com/a/Fal3T)

When i write it up as dr/dT on the leftside, and separate the r's and the T's, i get dr/((1/2)*r-(1/16)*r^5)=dT which is not the same as in the picture.

Where do i go wrong?

You forgot Algebra 101: just multiply your numerator and denominator by 2.

1. Why is it important to be able to follow the manipulation of an equation?

Understanding the manipulation of an equation is crucial in solving complex problems in various fields of science. It allows you to identify and correct any errors, interpret the results accurately, and make logical conclusions based on the equation.

2. What are some common reasons why someone may struggle with following the manipulation of an equation?

Some common reasons include a lack of familiarity with mathematical concepts and principles, not paying attention to the order of operations, and not double-checking the calculations.

3. Is there a specific method or strategy to follow when manipulating an equation?

Yes, there are several strategies that can help you follow the manipulation of an equation more easily. These include breaking down the equation into smaller parts, using the correct order of operations, and checking each step carefully.

4. Can practice and repetition improve the ability to follow the manipulation of an equation?

Absolutely! Like any other skill, practice and repetition can help improve your ability to follow the manipulation of an equation. Start with simpler equations and gradually work your way up to more complex ones to build your understanding and confidence.

5. What resources are available to help me improve my understanding of manipulating equations?

There are many resources available, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification or additional explanations when needed.