I can't understand why δ[2n] = δ[n] and δ(2t) = 1/2 * δ(t)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jncik
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 10K views
Jncik
Messages
95
Reaction score
0
where δ is the dirac delta function, I'm using the Greek alphabet on my keyboard

how can I prove this?

for the continuous time, we have that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (t) dt = 1[/tex]

so by having

δ(2t)[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (2t) dt = 1[/tex]

I use [tex]2t = u <=> 2dt = du <=> dt = du/2[/tex]

hence [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (2t) dt = 1 => \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (u) du = 1[/tex]

but since u is just a variable, we have that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (u) du = 2[/tex]

now about δ[2n] = δ[n]

in discrete time the summation over the integral of [tex](-\infty, +\infty)[/tex]

is 1.

now, what does δ[2n] mean?

The Attempt at a Solution



what I understand is that, when we have normal functions in discrete time, and for example we know that from -2 to 2 the values are not zero we say that

-2<=2n<=2

hence

-1<=n<=1

and the step now will be not 1, but 0.5, but in discrete time, we can see the values only when n is an integer, hence we will lose some of them

now for dirac delta we know that for n = 0 it is 1. hence we have

0<=2n<=0
0<=n<=0

hence again, for n = 0, it will be not 0...

but I'm not really sure if this logic is correct

I mean, why can't I use the same thing for the continuous time and say that δ(2t) = δ(t)?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jncik said:
where δ is the dirac delta function, I'm using the Greek alphabet on my keyboard

how can I prove this?

for the continuous time, we have that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (t) dt = 1[/tex]

so by having

δ(2t)


[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (2t) dt = 1[/tex]

I use [tex]2t = u <=> 2dt = du <=> dt = du/2[/tex]

hence


[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (2t) dt = 1 => \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (u) du = 1[/tex]

but since u is just a variable, we have that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (u) du = 2[/tex]
...

It is not true that [itex]\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (2t) dt = 1 \,.[/itex]

But it is true that [itex]\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (t) dt =\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (u) du = 1 \,.[/itex] The variables u & t are what we call 'Dummy' variables.

Therefore, [itex]\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (2t) dt =\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (u) du = \frac{1}{2} \,.[/itex]