1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I can't understand why δ[2n] = δ[n] and δ(2t) = 1/2 * δ(t)

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1
    where δ is the dirac delta function, I'm using the Greek alphabet on my keyboard

how can I prove this?

for the continuous time, we have that

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (t) dt = 1 [/tex]

so by having

δ(2t)

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (2t) dt = 1 [/tex]

I use [tex] 2t = u <=> 2dt = du <=> dt = du/2 [/tex]

hence

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (2t) dt = 1 => \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (u) du = 1 [/tex]

but since u is just a variable, we have that

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (u) du = 2[/tex]

now about δ[2n] = δ[n]

in discrete time the summation over the integral of [tex] (-\infty, +\infty) [/tex]

is 1.

now, what does δ[2n] mean?

3. The attempt at a solution

what I understand is that, when we have normal functions in discrete time, and for example we know that from -2 to 2 the values are not zero we say that

-2<=2n<=2

hence

-1<=n<=1

and the step now will be not 1, but 0.5, but in discrete time, we can see the values only when n is an integer, hence we will lose some of them

now for dirac delta we know that for n = 0 it is 1. hence we have

0<=2n<=0
    0<=n<=0

hence again, for n = 0, it will be not 0...

but I'm not really sure if this logic is correct

I mean, why can't I use the same thing for the continuous time and say that δ(2t) = δ(t)?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not true that [itex]\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (2t) dt = 1 \,.[/itex]

But it is true that [itex]\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (t) dt =\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (u) du = 1 \,.[/itex] The variables u & t are what we call 'Dummy' variables.

Therefore, [itex]\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (2t) dt =\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (u) du = \frac{1}{2} \,.[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook