Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: I can't understand why δ[2n] = δ[n] and δ(2t) = 1/2 * δ(t)

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1
    where δ is the dirac delta function, I'm using the Greek alphabet on my keyboard

how can I prove this?

for the continuous time, we have that

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (t) dt = 1 [/tex]

so by having

δ(2t)

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (2t) dt = 1 [/tex]

I use [tex] 2t = u <=> 2dt = du <=> dt = du/2 [/tex]

hence

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (2t) dt = 1 => \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (u) du = 1 [/tex]

but since u is just a variable, we have that

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (u) du = 2[/tex]

now about δ[2n] = δ[n]

in discrete time the summation over the integral of [tex] (-\infty, +\infty) [/tex]

is 1.

now, what does δ[2n] mean?

3. The attempt at a solution

what I understand is that, when we have normal functions in discrete time, and for example we know that from -2 to 2 the values are not zero we say that

-2<=2n<=2

hence

-1<=n<=1

and the step now will be not 1, but 0.5, but in discrete time, we can see the values only when n is an integer, hence we will lose some of them

now for dirac delta we know that for n = 0 it is 1. hence we have

0<=2n<=0
    0<=n<=0

hence again, for n = 0, it will be not 0...

but I'm not really sure if this logic is correct

I mean, why can't I use the same thing for the continuous time and say that δ(2t) = δ(t)?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not true that [itex]\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (2t) dt = 1 \,.[/itex]

But it is true that [itex]\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (t) dt =\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (u) du = 1 \,.[/itex] The variables u & t are what we call 'Dummy' variables.

Therefore, [itex]\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (2t) dt =\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (u) du = \frac{1}{2} \,.[/itex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook