Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I don't know -> how does the virtual world work?

1. Sep 28, 2016 #1
    Hello!
    How does computer download files and send files(from physical perspective, electrical engineering perspective)?
    Electrons, binary code, photons, electromagnetic waves...
    Sorry, my english knowledge is not good :D

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are asking for a very long discussion of basics. You should do some research on your own and then ask more specific questions.

4. Sep 30, 2016 #3
    So where is the start to this research? :D

5. Sep 30, 2016 #4
    What plan do you recommended to understand these things?

6. Sep 30, 2016 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

An undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering would be a good start.

7. Sep 30, 2016 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Start with encyclopedia-type websites like HowStuffWorks and Wikipedia. Search on a few terms that you know (computer, Internet, etc.), and in each article you read, you will find other terms that you can use for more searches. After a few days or weeks of reading there, I'm pretty sure you will have some better and more specific questions to ask here.

When you post a question here, try to post a link or two to what you are reading, to help us see the level of understanding you have and what level the information you are reading is at. That all helps us to help you learn better and more. :smile:

8. Oct 1, 2016 #7

Bandit127

Gold Member

9. Oct 2, 2016 #8

rbelli1

Gold Member

The OSI model is a significant number of layers above the electrical engineering level. It is a good idea to have at least a passing level of knowledge from transistors on up when learning about computers. The physics part of transistors is interesting too but less necessary for computer related fields.

BoB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted