I don't know if this the wrong section, but

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Section
In summary, professors often receive free copies of textbooks from publishers and may purchase additional books for their own personal use. It is recommended to keep textbooks, especially for those studying physics, as they may be useful for future reference. Selling textbooks may result in regret if needed for problem-solving in the future.
flyingpig
I am just wondering, in all of my professor's office, they have a huge collection of textbooks. Did they purchase them or did the university provide the books for them.

I am actually thinking of keeping some o mf textbooks and not selling them

Physics news on Phys.org
Publishers provide free copies of textbooks to instructors who use them in their courses, and often to instructors who are evaluating different books to decide which ones to use in their courses. I also buy books that I think might be useful or interesting, even if I don't plan to use them in a course.

I've also been collecting textbooks, If I use a textbook in a class that I think would make a great reference for a given subject sometime down the road, I will hold onto it. The amount of money you get for selling back used books isn't usually worth giving up a good book

Don't know about your professor. But I would recommend keeping your textbooks if you are a physics major. I guess you can get by with the internet, but I'm always referencing my texts on mechanics, em, calculus, and linear algebra. If you sell them you will be kicking yourself in two years when you get a problem and know that it was solved in ch. 9 of some book you used to have.

back at the end of the semester.

I cannot speak for your specific professor or university, but in general, it is common for professors to have a large collection of textbooks in their office. These textbooks may have been purchased by the professor themselves or provided by the university. It is also common for professors to keep textbooks for their own reference and use, rather than selling them back at the end of the semester. Textbooks are valuable resources for teaching and research, and it is not uncommon for professors to have a personal collection of textbooks that they keep for their own use. Ultimately, the decision to purchase or provide textbooks is up to the individual professor or university.

What is the purpose of asking a question starting with "I don't know if this is the wrong section, but"?

The phrase "I don't know if this is the wrong section, but" is often used as a disclaimer or introduction to a question that may not be directly related to the current topic or section. It is a way for the asker to acknowledge that their question may be out of place and to ask for assistance in redirecting it if necessary.

Why do some people preface their questions with "I don't know if this is the wrong section, but"?

Some people may use this phrase as a way to express hesitation or uncertainty about the relevance of their question. They may not want to disrupt the flow of the conversation or be seen as interrupting the current topic, so they use this phrase to acknowledge their uncertainty before asking their question.

Is it considered polite to start a question with "I don't know if this is the wrong section, but"?

The use of this phrase can be seen as polite, as it shows consideration for the current topic and allows for redirection if needed. However, it is not necessary to use this phrase every time you have a question and can become repetitive if overused.

Do scientists also use the phrase "I don't know if this is the wrong section, but" when asking questions?

Scientists may use this phrase in their professional or academic settings, but it is not a common practice in the scientific community. In scientific discussions, it is more common to directly ask a question or make a statement without prefacing it with this phrase.

Does starting a question with "I don't know if this is the wrong section, but" affect the validity of the question?

No, the validity of a question is not affected by the use of this phrase. It is simply a way for the asker to acknowledge any potential uncertainty or relevance of their question before asking it. The validity of the question depends on the content and context of the question itself.