I don't know what degree I am really wanting. Help?

• Programs
  • Thread starter VanHammer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the conversation discusses the different degrees that would be suitable for a career in designing space crafts, stations, and colonies. The options include Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Astrophysics. The issue of finding an employer in the space industry is also mentioned. It is suggested that any of these engineering degrees would be useful, but a strong foundation in mechanics and electronics is recommended.
VanHammer
What i want to do for a career is design stuff such as space craft, stations, colonies, ect. I thought i would need to get a degree in Aerospace Engineering, but then i was talking to a friend about it and he said that that would be more of a drafting thing. But when i looked into it i couldn't find any thing like aerospace drafting.

Dose anyone know what kind of a degree I need?

Please tell me if i need to add more info and if this has already been asked

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Mech. E, Electrical E, Aerospace E, or Astrophysics all have a role to play in such things. The hard part is finding a employer who actually does anything space related. Aerospace engineering sounds like a fine choice.

Likes 2 people
Student100 said:
Well, Mech. E, Electrical E, Aerospace E, or Astrophysics all have a role to play in such things. The hard part is finding a employer who actually does anything space related. Aerospace engineering sounds like a fine choice.

Good suggestions.

OP, drafting is done now by CAD software. Most engineering programs include at least an introduction to CAD. But typically, "drafters" aren't designers -- engineers do the designing.

Pretty much any and all types of engineering will be used in future design of spacecraft /colonies...the question is when? However your safest bets are mechanical, electrical, or aerospace.

I would go with mechanics and electronics, it would give you a solid foundation (read: understanding of what you want to get into)

1. What should I do if I'm not sure what degree I want to pursue?

It's completely normal to feel unsure about what degree you want to pursue. The first step is to explore your interests and passions. Take some time to reflect on what subjects you enjoy studying and what career paths align with your values and goals. You can also reach out to your academic advisor or career center for guidance and resources.

2. How do I know which degree is right for me?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. The best degree for you depends on your individual interests, strengths, and career goals. Consider researching different degree programs, speaking with professionals in your field of interest, and taking career assessments to gain insight into which degree may be the best fit for you.

3. Should I choose a degree based on potential salary or job prospects?

While salary and job prospects are important factors to consider, they should not be the sole determining factors in choosing a degree. It's important to also consider your personal interests, strengths, and values. Pursuing a degree that aligns with your passions and skills may lead to long-term satisfaction and success in your career.

4. Can I change my degree later on if I change my mind?

Yes, it is possible to change your degree later on if you change your mind. However, it's important to consider the potential consequences, such as additional time and money spent on your education. It's best to carefully research and reflect on your interests and goals before committing to a degree program.

5. What if I don't have a specific career in mind?

If you don't have a specific career in mind, you may want to consider pursuing a degree that offers a broad range of skills and knowledge, such as a liberal arts degree. This can provide you with a strong foundation for various career paths and allow you to explore different opportunities. You can also seek guidance from your academic advisor or career center to help you identify potential career paths that align with your interests and strengths.