I don't know what degree I am really wanting. Help?

• Programs
  • Thread starter VanHammer
  • Start date
What i want to do for a career is design stuff such as space craft, stations, colonies, ect. I thought i would need to get a degree in Aerospace Engineering, but then i was talking to a friend about it and he said that that would be more of a drafting thing. But when i looked into it i couldn't find any thing like aerospace drafting.

Dose anyone know what kind of a degree I need?

Please tell me if i need to add more info and if this has already been asked

Answers and Replies

Student100
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Well, Mech. E, Electrical E, Aerospace E, or Astrophysics all have a role to play in such things. The hard part is finding a employer who actually does anything space related. Aerospace engineering sounds like a fine choice.

Likes 2 people
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, Mech. E, Electrical E, Aerospace E, or Astrophysics all have a role to play in such things. The hard part is finding a employer who actually does anything space related. Aerospace engineering sounds like a fine choice.
Good suggestions.

OP, drafting is done now by CAD software. Most engineering programs include at least an introduction to CAD. But typically, "drafters" aren't designers -- engineers do the designing.

Pretty much any and all types of engineering will be used in future design of spacecraft/colonies...the question is when? However your safest bets are mechanical, electrical, or aerospace.

I would go with mechanics and electronics, it would give you a solid foundation (read: understanding of what you want to get into)