1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I don't understand why the rank = n - Rank-nullity theorem - nullity

1. Feb 27, 2013 #1

s3a

I don't understand why the rank = n -- Rank-nullity theorem -- nullity

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm working on #1 (the solutions are also included in that pdf) here ( http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathemat...-four-subspaces/exam-1/MIT18_06SCF11_ex1s.pdf ).

2. Relevant equations
    Ax = b
    Ax = 0
    rank A+ nullity A = n

3. The attempt at a solution
    For #1(a), I don't understand why the rank = n. I've been told to look at the Rank-nullity theorem which states that rank A+ nullity A = n but, I don't understand what nullity means exactly. In fact, I'm not very solid on the meaning of rank either (but, I kind of get it).

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: I don't understand why the rank = n -- Rank-nullity theorem -- nul

A linear transformation, A:U->V, maps vectors in a vector space, U, to a vector space V. It is fairly straight forward to show that the "range" of A, {v| v= Au for some u in U} is a subspace of V. The 'rank' of A is the dimension of that subspace. It is similarly straight forward to show that the null space of A, {u| AU= 0}. The 'nullity' of A is the dimension of the null space. One way of approaching the proof of the "rank-nullity" theorem is to choose a basis for the null space, [itex]\{u_1, u_2, ..., u_m\}[/itex] and expand it to a basis for U by adding vectors [itex]\{u_{m+1}, ..., u_n\}[/itex]. Show that every vector in the range of A can be written as a linear combination of [itex]\{Au_{m+1}, ..., Au_n\}[/itex] and so has dimension n- m.

4. Feb 27, 2013 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: I don't understand why the rank = n -- Rank-nullity theorem -- nul

Two hints:

The first statement,
    $$Ax = \left[ \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{array} \right] \textrm{ has no solutions}$$
    means that ##A## is not ...? (Injective, surjective?)

The second statement,
    $$Ax = \left[ \begin{array}{c} 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{array} \right] \textrm{ has exactly one solution}$$
    means that the kernel (null space) of ##A## is ...?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted