1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

T:P2 to R2, find rank or nullity of T

1. Jul 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find either the rank or nullity of T.
    T:P2--> R2 defined by T(p(x)) = [p(0)
    p(1)]

2. Relevant equations
    Null(T)={x:T(x)=0}
    I think its usually easier to to find Nullity as opposed to Rank.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have only done these questions within the same vector spaces, I don't have any idea where to begin. Hints or clues would be very much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

P2 is the space of quadratic polynomials?

Then transform the problem to one where both vector spaces are the same, solve, then transfer back.

BTW, why does it matter to you whether or not they're the same?

4. Jul 4, 2010 #3
    I'm still new to linear transformstions and am not comfortable with the concept yet. And yes P2 is the space of quadratic polynomials.

5. Jul 4, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If P2 is the space of quadratic polynomials, the any p in P2 can be written as [itex]ax^2+ bx+ c[/itex]. p(0)= c and p(1)= a+ b+ c. The nullity of T consists of all quadratic polynomials, [itex]ax^2+ bx+ c[/itex] such that p(0)= c= 0 and p(1)= a+ b+ c= 0. What polynomials are those?

Actually, I would think it very easy to find the rank of T. If (x, y)= (c, a+ b+ c) where a, b, and c can be any real numbers, the what can x and y be?

6. Jul 4, 2010 #5
    If I stick with looking for nullity, I get nullity=1.

7. Jul 4, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the dimension of the null space is 1. Can you write down a polynomial that spans it?

8. Jul 4, 2010 #7
    1+2x

9. Jul 4, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uh, look at your original definition. If p(x)=1+2x, then T(p(x))=[p(0),p(1)]=[1,3]. It doesn't look like 1+2x is in the null space to me.

10. Jul 4, 2010 #9
    x^2-x+0

If this is not right then I am definitly confused

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  11. Jul 5, 2010 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now that's right. So the elements of the null space are c*(x^2-x) for any constant c. Hence one dimensional. Right?

12. Jul 5, 2010 #11
    Yes, nullity(T)=1, then with the rank theorem, rank(T)=2,
    Thanks for the help, I think I have to just keep doing problems until I can grasp this better.

13. Jul 5, 2010 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To find the rank directly (which I have to do because I said "Actually, I would think it very easy to find the rank of T.":smile:), note that T(ax^2+ bx+ c)= (c, a+ b+ c). Since a, b, and c can be any numbers, so can c and a+ b+ c. That is, the image of T is all or [itex]R^2[/itex] and so has dimension 2.

Of course, once you have the nullity, using the rank theorem is simpler.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook