1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses I feel like we don't learn enough in our classes

1. Dec 20, 2016 #1
    I'm not sure if this is the right section but..

During the semester it feels like we are learning a ton of stuff at a crazy pace, but then when the semester is over I always look back and am like "that's it? I've learned everything about X class that I will need to know for all of my future classes?" . I guess it feels like a class like Differential Equations should be so much longer because there's so much that can be learned about it; it all of the sudden ends after 15 weeks and I feel like I haven't learned enough about it.

It's kinda like running in a pool of water with your eyes shut; it's taking an extreme amount of effort and you feel like you have to have covered a good amount of distance within a short amount of time, but when you open your eyes and look back, you've only actually covered a few yards.

Anyone else feel like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2016 #2
    Yes, every single class through undergrad and grad school. I think it is normal.

You really aren't going to get a very *DEEP* understanding of any one subject in school. In fact, I think it's not even the point. That understanding will come later when you

a) Have to do a project/thesis/research on a topic. (You will have to do lots of review to "relearn" the basics).
    b) You have to take a really long really hard test like a qualifier.
    c) You do some kind of work that utilizes you knowledge of the subject.

What you ARE learning is:

a) The broad idea behind the subject,
    b) The vocabulary/definitions needed to talk about it
    c) how to think and reason about the subject
    d) How to get information about the subject when you need it

There's also a possibility, if you've worked really hard in a class, that you've learned more than you think you have. Even knowing what types of questions to ask about a topic shows a knowledge of the subject, regardless of whether you can actually answer the question.

-Dave K

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted