1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I forgot how to do my ODES Stuck on a PDE question.

1. Dec 3, 2005 #1
    Let's say I assumed that the answer to a PDE was U(x,t)= XT, where X,T are functions. I then further my answer by getting to a point for
    T'/T=kX''/X, where k is some constant given in the boundary conditions. I then continue by working on either side to find each function. Suppose I work on the right hand side (RHS).

Since i know both LHS and RHS are indepent of each other, I can continue and say that RHS= -$. Now, I check the first case there $<0. So i say that $=-h^2 and get kX'' + (h^2)X=0.

I am stuck here. Does X then turn out to be a function of cosM and sinM, when $<0? (M being theta, or some angle). Furthermore, X=CcosM + DsinM...right?

note: I didnt include that boundary conditions as I doubt that they are needed for my question.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2005 #2

Gold Member

Yes, one form of the solution would be a sum of a sin and cos function. I think you would be better off writing the solution as Acos(mx) + Bsin(mx) rather than cos(M) + sin(M) so that you'll be able to take the derivatives when you plug back into the ODE to find the value of m. Also, I wouldn't bother solving the cases of $>0 and $<0 seperately. Just assume the form to be exponential and Euler's formula can put your answer in a more pleasent form.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?