I get depressed because of LaTex

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter bres gres
  • Start date
never felt any urge to, after using Word (with MathType) for many years.
Apparently MSFT Word, at least in Office 2016, now supports entering math equations and expressions in LaTeX.

jtbell
Mentor
Apparently MSFT Word, at least in Office 2016, now supports entering math equations and expressions in LaTeX.
I wonder if that's true in the Mac OS version, too... in the past, it's often lagged behind the Windows version. I'm still using Office 2011 because my Mac is so old (2008 :))). Sometime Real Soon Now I'm going to treat myself to a nice new iMac and refresh all my software. Then I'll find out what the current version of Word is like.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
I wonder if that's true in the Mac OS version, too... in the past, it's often lagged behind the Windows version.
It doesn't seem to be. I have an Office 365 subscription through my school, so I should have the latest versions of the applications. I found the feature in the Windows versions, but I couldn't find it in the Mac versions.

gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I had previously pointed to a LaTex editor app and copying the code. You can also just copy the image to your document with https://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php if your document sw does not support LaTex.
Don't give them ideas! I see hundreds of homework threads with even more unquotable pictures! Not to mention the waste of server space.

Reactions: BvU
Tom.G
Science Advisor
Be careful about copying images into MS-Word. ALL images are converted to a medium resolution .JPEG format... definitely NOT publication quality.

I ran across this several years ago when I was proofing a book for the author. For instance, many screen captures were unreadable. :cry: The author gave up on MS-Word and converted the manuscript to a different editor (don't recall which one for sure, but we ended up transferring files in .PDF format).

Cheers,
Tom

pbuk
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Be careful about copying images into MS-Word. ALL images are converted to a medium resolution .JPEG format... definitely NOT publication quality.
This is not true. If you import a PNG, it stays as a PNG. And you can select the quality in File -> Options -> Advanced -> Image Size and Quality: you can select "do not compress" if you want, although I have found "High Fidelity" is good enough in practice, even for professional printing. To view on screen 96dpi is enough (the lowest available setting).

I ran across this several years ago when I was proofing a book for the author.
Must have been a long time ago, at least before Office 2007. Or the settings were wrong, or perhaps the wrong settings had been chosen when printing to PDF?

Tom.G
Science Advisor
It could well have been settings made by the author. I don't know which software versions were used but the book copyright date is 2014, so software versions between 2010 to 2013 would be likely.

I agree 96dpi for a display screen is adequate; however rule-of-thumb for color images on good quality paper is 300dpi. Black and White on paper needs 600dpi. These are the recommendations from the publishers/printers and reflect the visually discernable resolution for 'young eyes.'

Cheers,
Tom

Reactions: BvU
Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Want to be a Physicist? Learn LaTeX. It is the language.

DEvens
Education Advisor
Gold Member
What is going on here? Why did that bold text appear? Why did my attempt at saying "build a vertical vector ##[ b ]##" give me so much aggravation? Is this going to go on for ever? Not for ever.

Part of the issue with LaTeX is that this place implements more than LaTeX. If you put [ b ] but don't leave blanks, that turns on bold. Then [ /b ] turns it off again. This can screw up equations as well. Using [ i ] does the same for italics. [ u ] does underlines. [ s ] does strikethrough.

FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The shortcuts here for bold and italics are for a different markup system and are not compatible inside LaTex. Also, Latex is not compatible inside the other. So make sure that you have finished one before starting the other. I don't use the shortcuts here unless I am sure that I will not use LaTex. I primarily stick with LaTex.