I get depressed because of LaTex

• Thread starter bres gres
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

physics Forums is a good place to ask physics questions
however i cannot ask any questions because i don't know how to use Latex
it seems i need lot of time to learn it.....

:( :( :(

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Last edited by a moderator:
FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Most questions only need LaTex for math equations, and even those can often be done fairly clearly without LaTex. I don't think that being a beginner in LaTex should stop you.

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award

You can use our guideline
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/or what I did at the beginning: I "replied" to similar posts and used their formulas as template, i.e. I fetched the formulas by putting them into the edit box and then copied and pasted it into my real post in possibly another thread. Thanks to tab browsing. Of course one has to be careful not to hit the post button and answer them. And the automatic save function of the forums software keeps the text in the edit box, so it's still there when you come back.

I soon downloaded a tiny script program which allows me to define my own keyboard shortcuts.This saves a lot of typing. E.g. "\lim_{n \to \infty}" is all on one key, e.g. Ctrl + l. Similar with "\begin {bmatrix} \end {bmatrix}" or "\left. \dfrac{d}{d}\right|_{}"

DrDu
Science Advisor
I soon downloaded a tiny script program which allows me to define my own keyboard shortcuts.This saves a lot of typing. E.g. "\lim_{n \to \infty}" is all on one key, e.g. Ctrl + l. Similar with "\begin {bmatrix} \end {bmatrix}" or "\left. \dfrac{d}{d}\right|_{}"
Better invest your time in learning how to type blindly. You can write latex without using any special key combinations.

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Better invest your time in learning how to type blindly. You can write latex without using any special key combinations.
Not really. I need AltGr far too often on my standard keyboard setting. I even overwrote the caps lock. And if you also write TeX files, the keyboard settings are of a great help. It's simply faster and less erroneous. One hit gives me {} or \left(\right). You cannot beat this.

berkeman
Mentor
I soon downloaded a tiny script program which allows me to define my own keyboard shortcuts.
Very cool. Which one did you download?

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I use AutoHotkey. It is very easy to set up and has pause functions (I didn't figure out what the difference between pause and suspend is ...), e.g. if you need the usual setting as Ctrl+D in excel. Right click on the symbol in the taskbar does this. Also edit the script while running is possible, so you can test new settings without leaving the script editor. And if you wrote
[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]
for the 100th time, you appreciate this little helper!

Edit: Just don't overwrite Ctrl+C / V / X and possibly Alt+S.

This.

I don't do anything special, like using special editors or defining hot keys. The LaTeX commands I use most often are for fractions, limits, and integrals. These are easy enough, for me at least, that I don't mind just typing them in.
For longer, more complicated expressions, I use the Preview button to check that what I wrote got rendered correctly.

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
To write Latex parentheses I have to hit AtlGr+7 and AltGr+0. It's really more convenient to just hit Alt+B, or Atl+N in case I want to write them: \{\,\,\} This combination would be AltGr+? AltGr+7 AltGr+? , AltGr+? , AltGr+? AltGr+0 otherwise. Not really fun to type. Not to mention how often I would have to correct infinity to infty.

To be honest: part of the problem was that I lost keys on my previous machine due to rubber marks, and my attempts to disassemble the keyboard where not very promising. Hence I downloaded the program to have an alternative for "e" which lost functionality. The rest came in quite natural. And \left. \dfrac{d}{d}\right|_{} is really far better behind a single key than to forget the left. part over and over again.

Modern times. Why not make use of it?

Last edited:
I would get depressed if I had to format my theses in Word or some MS Office equivalent.

FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
I would get depressed if I had to format my theses in Word or some MS Office equivalent.
Large documents in MS Word are a nightmare, especially if you cut and paste from many other submitted sections that have different formats.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award

If this simple, relatively trivial task is already getting you "depressed", then you have bigger issues to deal with than just having to use LaTex on PF.

Zz.

FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Just learn the often-occurring bits at a time.
From one of your posts: "εijk A0jk=ε0jki A0jk ", use '^' for an exponent and inclose multiple charactors inside {}.
The entire LaTex equation should be enclosed by double '#'s at each end.
##\epsilon^{ijk} A_{0jk} = \epsilon^{0jk} A_{0jk}## is from
Code:
##\epsilon^{ijk} A_{0jk} = \epsilon^{0jk} A_{0jk}##
Also, Google is your friend. I am constantly Googling specific LaTex things like the LaTex epsilon symbol until I learn them.

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Also, Google is your friend. I am constantly Googling specific LaTex things like the LaTex epsilon symbol until I learn them.
Here's a convenient list:
http://detexify.kirelabs.org/symbols.htmlbut not all LaTeX libraries are available in MathJax what is what we really use.

The most important advantage over MS-word is the automatic administration of footnotes, cross-references, section numbering, table of content, sources etc. in "real" scientific documents. The disadvantage is, that it is basically a programming language and therefore less intuitive.