Is It Time to Say Goodbye to PhysicsForums?

• Thread starter tahayassen
  • Start date
In summary, this person is going through a rough time and is considering suicide, but has reconsidered and is going to try to find a job that they like instead. They recommend that the person reads an article on Cracked about how to happiness, and that the person should surround themselves with people who care about them. This person is a strong person, and will overcome whatever obstacles they face.
tahayassen
Sigh. I give up. I've mentioned before that I was thinking of suicide, but I've reconsidered it, and I'm just going to take the fail like a man, and work as a cashier for the rest of my life. I'm tired of it.

So long PhysicsForums.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can I ask what happened??

You sound like you're going through a rough time... :frown:

tahayassen said:
Sigh. I give up. I've mentioned before that I was thinking of suicide, but I've reconsidered it, and I'm just going to take the fail like a man, and work as a cashier for the rest of my life. I'm tired of it.

So long PhysicsForums.

Watch this.

http://www.cracked.com/forums/topic/23218/the-pwot-happiness-generator might be able to help you out a little.

________

You have over 100 posts, so I think it's apparent that you've been around here for quite some time. I'll tell you this:

This forum makes everybody feel stupid some times.

I have (legitamately) well over 100 posts, yet my counter only says 50 or so. Do you know why? It's because I don't know nearly enough about science to contribute frequently in the threads that actually up my post count. I roam around the General Discussion section frequently, because I love the people here, and still want to post here without having to delve into the internet researching a question for half an hour to answer somebody's question.

The smarter the people that you surround and compare yourself with are, the less smart you feel. That's because all you end up seeing are people answering extremely complex math problems with ease, and it can be discouraging that maybe you don't know what the hell is going on.

I can tell you this much: In my eyes, you're smarter than 80% of the public. Around 20 percent of the public is considered scientifically literate. Yet, here you are, on a forum for Physics. Not only did you recognize that science is important, but you took the initiative to become part of a community that feels the same way as you.

I take it that being a cashier isn't the ideal job that you had in mind, that's okay. What that doesn't mean, is that you should just settle for it because you're having some rough times. Maybe you went to college, and pursued a degree in any branch of science, or engineering, or you wanted to be a computer programmer, and for any number of reasons, it didn't work out.

That's fine. In the words of Neil Degrasse Tyson, "I don't want a world where everyone is a scientist. That would be boring." Not everybody is made to do everything. I take it that science interests you, and that's great, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a career in science is necessarily made for you. That still doesn't mean that you should give up. Maybe you went into the wrong field, and another one would suit you perfectly.

I don't know what type of situation you are in, but I know that you will work things out. Don't settle for a job that you don't want, especially if you believe that you can do better. Study harder, use this forum for help. I don't know of a single person here who would turn down the oppurtunity to help you turn your life around for the better.

Surround yourself with people who care about you. Don't care about what others think of you, just find people who you like, and who like you back. No matter what type of person you are, there's always somebody out there who would find you to be a great friend.

You're a strong person, and I somehow know that from your few sentences. I've never had depression, and have fortunately never had to contemplate suicide. Despite not having gone through the same hardships as you, I still recognize that it takes a strong person to overcome suicide. You've made it this far. You're still alive because you realize that you have something to live for.

We're all here for you, even if you think that nobody is.

Last edited:
This thread is locked pending moderation.

It's been a great ride, but I think it's time to say goodbye.

I understand that everyone goes through difficult times and may feel overwhelmed at times. However, I want to remind you that there is always hope and support available. Suicide is never the answer and I urge you to seek help if you are feeling overwhelmed and hopeless. There is so much more to life than just one aspect, such as your academic performance on a forum. Remember that failure is a part of the learning process and it's important to not give up on your dreams and passions. There are always people who care about you and want to see you succeed. Please reach out to a trusted friend, family member, or mental health professional for support. And as for PhysicsForums, it's okay to take a break or step away for a while, but don't feel like you have to say goodbye forever. You are always welcome to come back and continue learning and growing with us. Take care of yourself and know that you are not alone.

FAQ: Is It Time to Say Goodbye to PhysicsForums?

1. What is the current state of PhysicsForums and why is the question of saying goodbye being asked?

PhysicsForums is a popular online forum for discussions related to physics and other science topics. Recently, there has been a decline in activity and participation on the forum, leading to concerns about its future. This has sparked the question of whether it is time to say goodbye to PhysicsForums.

2. What are the reasons for the decline in activity on PhysicsForums?

There are several factors that have contributed to the decline in activity on PhysicsForums. These include the rise of other platforms for online discussions, changes in the way people consume information, and a decrease in the overall interest in physics and science among the general population.

3. Is there a possibility of reviving PhysicsForums and bringing back its former popularity?

While it is difficult to predict the future, there is always a possibility of reviving and revitalizing PhysicsForums. This could be done through implementing new features, improving the user experience, and actively promoting the forum to attract new members. However, it will also require the support and involvement of the existing community.

4. Will the closure of PhysicsForums have a significant impact on the scientific community?

PhysicsForums has been a valuable resource for students, researchers, and professionals in the scientific community for many years. Its closure would mean losing a platform for exchanging ideas, seeking help, and staying updated on the latest developments in the field. It may also create a void that could be difficult to fill.

5. What can be done to prevent PhysicsForums from shutting down?

The best way to prevent PhysicsForums from shutting down is to actively participate in the forum and contribute to its growth. This could include posting questions, engaging in discussions, and helping others by sharing knowledge and expertise. Additionally, supporting the forum through donations or becoming a premium member can also help in keeping it running.