Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I hate to admit it

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

But i now have two false teeth and they feel awful, i wanted implants but they would have cost me £5000 and i could not justify this expense, these false ones cost me £540 and i feel i have paid to have discomfort, may be i will get used to the blasted things, but for now it feels as if i have a lump of silly putty stuck to the roof of my mouth.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

You should price what implants would cost in the US and fly over here to get it done. I think it may be around $2-3K (for 2 implants), although one site in the US claims $1K-$5K/implant.

4. Feb 26, 2008 #3
    It is my understanding that they might also be cheap in places like Juarez, Mexico. My dentist quoted me approx $5k per implant. I assume from your post that you're having trouble with the plastic thingy (that's a dental technical term not commonly divulged to laymen) that either sits on your gum or against the roof of your mouth. Try different sealing pastes; they seem like they should be the same but there's a world of difference. I personally like Super Poligrip.

Also see if you can get the dentist to adjust the fixture. A tiny tweak can make a huge change in comfort sometimes.

Good luck!

5. Feb 26, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think your dentist needs to grind down the plastic thingy. You really should go back and get it checked. In my experience, dental problems sometimes compound over time and you could end up with a much worse problem. You don't want to end up getting TMJ problems...if the plastic thingy is beating up a natural tooth, the natural tooth will lose.

6. Feb 26, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Wow if i can find a place i am on my way, and this time i will not step over the line before i am beckoned.

7. Feb 26, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

I think they fit ok it is just the general feel.

8. Feb 26, 2008 #7

Evo

Why doesn't she do a permanent partial bridge?

9. Feb 26, 2008 #8

Danger

Gold Member

I would be very, very careful before having any medical procedure done in Mexico. This is not a prejudicial statement; the legitimate medical practitioners there are as good as you'll find anywhere. Unfortunately, a very high percentage of the people at 'cut-rate' clinics don't even have the credentials to be a student in Europe or North America. You wouldn't believe (or even want to hear) the horror stories of people who have gone down there for cosmetic surgery or liposuction or cancer treatment and wound up ruined for life.

10. Feb 26, 2008 #9
    Do you have a Dremel?

11. Feb 26, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

I did not think about this option and it was not offered, may be it was because the two teeth are the very back ones.

12. Feb 26, 2008 #11
    Obviously not wisdom teeth though or you might have thought of the bridge.

13. Feb 26, 2008 #12

Evo

That would be the reason, you need a tooth on either side of the bridge.

14. Feb 26, 2008 #13
    Learned something new today. I guess that's why they call it a bridge and not a pier.

15. Feb 26, 2008 #14
    Don't you guys have free healthcare over in Britain?

16. Feb 26, 2008 #15

Evo

A tooth pier. :rofl:

17. Feb 26, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If they're the very back ones, why even bother? Nobody will see they're missing, and it won't be long before you get used to not having them there. You still have the rest of the molars for chomping up your food. If the false teeth are so uncomfortable, it might be better to simply do without.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?