I hate to admit it

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
wolram
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

But i now have two false teeth and they feel awful, i wanted implants but they would have cost me £5000 and i could not justify this expense, these false ones cost me £540 and i feel i have paid to have discomfort, may be i will get used to the blasted things, but for now it feels as if i have a lump of silly putty stuck to the roof of my mouth.

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
But i now have two false teeth and they feel awful, i wanted implants but they would have cost me £5000 and i could not justify this expense, these false ones cost me £540 and i feel i have paid to have discomfort, may be i will get used to the blasted things, but for now it feels as if i have a lump of silly putty stuck to the roof of my mouth.
You should price what implants would cost in the US and fly over here to get it done. I think it may be around $2-3K (for 2 implants), although one site in the US claims $1K-$5K/implant.

It is my understanding that they might also be cheap in places like Juarez, Mexico. My dentist quoted me approx $5k per implant. I assume from your post that you're having trouble with the plastic thingy (that's a dental technical term not commonly divulged to laymen) that either sits on your gum or against the roof of your mouth. Try different sealing pastes; they seem like they should be the same but there's a world of difference. I personally like Super Poligrip.

Also see if you can get the dentist to adjust the fixture. A tiny tweak can make a huge change in comfort sometimes.

Good luck!

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think your dentist needs to grind down the plastic thingy. You really should go back and get it checked. In my experience, dental problems sometimes compound over time and you could end up with a much worse problem. You don't want to end up getting TMJ problems...if the plastic thingy is beating up a natural tooth, the natural tooth will lose.

wolram
Gold Member
You should price what implants would cost in the US and fly over here to get it done. I think it may be around $2-3K (for 2 implants), although one site in the US claims $1K-$5K/implant.
Wow if i can find a place i am on my way, and this time i will not step over the line before i am beckoned.

wolram
Gold Member
I think your dentist needs to grind down the plastic thingy. You really should go back and get it checked. In my experience, dental problems sometimes compound over time and you could end up with a much worse problem. You don't want to end up getting TMJ problems...if the plastic thingy is beating up a natural tooth, the natural tooth will lose.
I think they fit ok it is just the general feel.

Evo
Mentor
Why doesn't she do a permanent partial bridge?

Danger
Gold Member
It is my understanding that they might also be cheap in places like Juarez, Mexico.
I would be very, very careful before having any medical procedure done in Mexico. This is not a prejudicial statement; the legitimate medical practitioners there are as good as you'll find anywhere. Unfortunately, a very high percentage of the people at 'cut-rate' clinics don't even have the credentials to be a student in Europe or North America. You wouldn't believe (or even want to hear) the horror stories of people who have gone down there for cosmetic surgery or liposuction or cancer treatment and wound up ruined for life.

Do you have a Dremel?

wolram
Gold Member
Why doesn't she do a permanent partial bridge?
I did not think about this option and it was not offered, may be it was because the two teeth are the very back ones.

Obviously not wisdom teeth though or you might have thought of the bridge.

Evo
Mentor
I did not think about this option and it was not offered, may be it was because the two teeth are the very back ones.
That would be the reason, you need a tooth on either side of the bridge.

Learned something new today. I guess that's why they call it a bridge and not a pier.

Don't you guys have free healthcare over in Britain?

Evo
Mentor
Learned something new today. I guess that's why they call it a bridge and not a pier.
A tooth pier. :rofl:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If they're the very back ones, why even bother? Nobody will see they're missing, and it won't be long before you get used to not having them there. You still have the rest of the molars for chomping up your food. If the false teeth are so uncomfortable, it might be better to simply do without.