I have a variable as an exponent, how do I isolate it from everything else?

In summary, to solve for n in the equation .75 = 1 - (1 - p)^n, you can use logarithms to change the variable from a constant to a coefficient. By taking the natural log of both sides and using the property of logarithms, you can isolate n and solve for it in terms of p. This method can be applied to any logarithm, as long as it is used on both sides of the equation.
kelp

Homework Statement

.75 = 1 - (1 - p)^n
I want to get the n alone, and find n in terms of p.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I simplified it to this:
1 - p = (.25)^(1/n)
Basically, I just moved numbers around. I do not know how to get the n by itself without dragging along a number.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
kelp said:

Homework Statement

.75 = 1 - (1 - p)^n
I want to get the n alone, and find n in terms of p.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I simplified it to this:
1 - p = (.25)^(1/n)
Basically, I just moved numbers around. I do not know how to get the n by itself without dragging along a number.

Thanks!
Take the log of both sides.

.75 = 1 - (1 - p)n
==> .25 = (1 - p)n
==> ln(.25) = ln[(1 - p)n]

Using one of the properties of logarithms, you can work with the right side to eventually isolate n.

Have you tried logarithms?

Logarithms would be the best way to get change the variable from a constant to a coefficient. Any logarithm will work, whether it be the standard log10, the natural log ln, or any other one.

Just keep in the back of your head that:

log(ax) = x*log(a)

Here's an example on how to use this property:

3.2x = 10.24
ln(3.2x) = ln(10.24)
Using the property mentioned:
x*ln(3.2) = ln(10.24)
x*1.1631 = 2.3263
x = 2.3263/1.1631
x = 2

Note (again) that it doesn't matter whether you choose the ln or log10 or log12345, so long as you use the logarithm on BOTH sides of the equation and then use the mentioned property you'll be fine.

1. How do I solve for the variable when it is in the exponent?

To isolate the variable from the exponent, you can take the logarithm of both sides of the equation. This will bring the variable down from the exponent and allow you to solve for it using algebraic methods.

2. Can I use any base for the logarithm?

Yes, you can use any base for the logarithm as long as you use the same base on both sides of the equation. Common bases include 10, e, and 2. Choose a base that is convenient for the problem at hand.

3. What do I do if the variable is in the base of the exponent?

If the variable is in the base of the exponent, you can use the logarithm with a different base to bring the variable down from the base. For example, if the variable is in the base 2, you can use the logarithm with base 2 to eliminate the exponent and solve for the variable.

4. Is there another way to isolate the variable from the exponent?

Yes, you can also use the laws of exponents to manipulate the equation and isolate the variable. For example, if the variable is in the exponent of a product, you can use the law of exponents that states (ab)^n = a^n * b^n to bring the variable down from the exponent.

5. Are there any special cases I should be aware of when isolating a variable from an exponent?

One special case to be aware of is when the variable is in the exponent of a power of a power. In this case, you will need to use the power rule of logarithms, which states that log base a of (x^m)^n = m*n*log base a (x). This will allow you to bring the variable down from multiple exponents and solve for it.