1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric sequences; solving algebraically for exponents

1. Nov 24, 2011 #1
    Hello everyone! My question is twofold. Firstly, how do I solve for term numbers in a geometric sequence and secondly, how do I algebraically solve for variables that are exponents?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the following geometric sequences, determine the number of terms, n.
    t1=5
    r (common ratio)=3
    tn=135

2. Relevant equations
    tn=t1rn-1
    where t1 is the first term
    n is the number of terms
    r is the common ratio
    tn is the general term

3. The attempt at a solution
    I substituted in all known values yielding 135=(5)(3)n-1, which I simplified to 27=(3)n-1, leaving me stuck at the exponent variable. From here, how do I algebraically solve for the variable? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, 27 is a power of 3, so the answer is obvious by inspection. However, if you wanted to solve for it, a general way would be to use logarithms:

log10(27) = log10(3n-1)

and by the properties of logarithms, this becomes:

log10(27) = (n-1)log10(3)

n-1 = log10(27)/log10(3)

Actually, since both sides of the equation were powers of 3, it would have made much more sense to take the base 3 logarithm of both sides, rather than the base 10 logarithm. However, your calculator probably doesn't compute base 3 logarithms.

4. Nov 24, 2011 #3
    I'll just attribute my obliviousness to sleep deprivation and inattentiveness... Anyways, thanks for help! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook