1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a very very basic question on the CDF and limits

1. Sep 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. For a random variable X, the function F defined by
    F(x) = P(X <= x),−inf < x < inf
    is called the cumulative distribution function of X. A property of every distribution function F is that
    it is right continuous with left limits.
    For the following functions, determine if they are right continuous and/or have left limits at the
    indicated values. (A “yes” or “no” answer is insufficient. Justify your answers or no credit will be
    given.)
    (a) at x = 0 and x = 1 for G(x) = |x|/x .
    (b) at x = 0 and x = 1 for H(x) = arctan(x).

2. Relevant equations

(a) at x = 0 and x = 1 for G(x) = |x|/x .
    (b) at x = 0 and x = 1 for H(x) = arctan(x).

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, if we look at 'a', I was trying to find the limit when x->0+ and limit when x->0-. I am getting -1 and 1
    but the function is not defined at x=0.
    and it's not right continuous nor left continuous, and it has right and left limits, correct?

OR I don't get the question.

Can somebody tell me what I need to do here or lead me to the correct way ??

Thanks in advance,
    Roni.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That sounds fine to me. Except I would say lim 0+ of |x|/x is 1. It's the limit as x->0 from the positive direction, right? OR I don't get the question. Or I misunderstand your notation.

4. Sep 11, 2009 #3
    yes, that's what I meant, from the positive side it's 1 and from the negative side it's -1.

So, this equation is not a CDF ? as far as I understand, a CDF is right continuous and has left limits . But this one is neither right nor left continuous and has left and right limits, right ?

now what about arctan(x) ?

As far as I know, arctan is continuous from -inf to inf. So, it's right continuous but doesn't have left limit, right ? So it's not a CDF either?
    If so, why did the professor mention the CDF properties ? o_O

5. Sep 11, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uh, don't know. Maybe the question isn't really about CDF's but about concepts of continuity and limits and mentioning CDFs was just a motivation. As far as I know, a good CDF f(x) has the property that lim x->-infinity is 0 and lim x->infinity is 1. Neither of those functions is good in that respect.

6. Sep 11, 2009 #5
    I see, I guess you are right .
    Thank you very much for your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook