1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have never finished my M.Sc.

1. Sep 7, 2013 #1
    Hi Guys!,

I am new in the forum and I want to ask for some advice regarding my carrier path. Here is my story in short:

I am a third year PhD student (mathematical modeling of turbulent flows). I finished my B.Sc. (Mechanical Engineering) in the best 20% of my generation and went for a M.Sc. in the same field. However, when I was almost ready with the M.Sc. I got a research fellowship and then another one and then another one and finally I got a PhD fellowship. Since I had some economical problems and was sure that I wanted to work in the academia the rest of my life (or at least I want to try to do it), I accepted all these fellowships and never finished my Master.

Do you think I could have some problems in the future finding a postdoctoral position because I did not finish my master?.. Should I try to finish it?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2013 #2
    In sweden you can only start a doctorate after you finish your masters I think USA is the only country where you go from Bachelors to doctorate. And yes i realize that you read the same courses during doctorate but as a master student your focus is on the courses its better i think.

4. Sep 7, 2013 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It might be an issue if, for example, you failed out, or were kicked out, but somehow managed to get into a PhD at another school. But if it was just a question of you choosing to follow a better opportunity, then no, bailing on the MSc is not likely to present any roadblocks.

5. Sep 29, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is required to complete the MSc?

You probably have all of the coursework ... just need to write a thesis on a research project?

Talk to your adviser ... you may be able to "double up". Sometimes when you are in a PhD program you only need to complete the course work for the MS if the other department approves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook