Will Not Finishing My M.Sc. Affect My Postdoctoral Opportunities?

• Thread starter Bunsen
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is a third year PhD student in mathematical modeling of turbulent flows who did not finish their Master's degree due to receiving multiple research fellowships and having financial issues. They are wondering if this will cause problems in finding a postdoctoral position and if they should try to finish their Master's degree. In Sweden, one must finish their Master's degree before starting a doctorate, while in the USA, it is possible to go directly from Bachelor's to doctorate. It is likely not an issue if the individual chose to pursue better opportunities and did not fail or get kicked out of the program. They may be able to "double up" and complete the coursework for their Master's while also working on their PhD.
Bunsen
Hi Guys!,

I am new in the forum and I want to ask for some advice regarding my carrier path. Here is my story in short:

I am a third year PhD student (mathematical modeling of turbulent flows). I finished my B.Sc. (Mechanical Engineering) in the best 20% of my generation and went for a M.Sc. in the same field. However, when I was almost ready with the M.Sc. I got a research fellowship and then another one and then another one and finally I got a PhD fellowship. Since I had some economical problems and was sure that I wanted to work in the academia the rest of my life (or at least I want to try to do it), I accepted all these fellowships and never finished my Master.

Do you think I could have some problems in the future finding a postdoctoral position because I did not finish my master?.. Should I try to finish it?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
In sweden you can only start a doctorate after you finish your masters I think USA is the only country where you go from Bachelors to doctorate. And yes i realize that you read the same courses during doctorate but as a master student your focus is on the courses its better i think.

It might be an issue if, for example, you failed out, or were kicked out, but somehow managed to get into a PhD at another school. But if it was just a question of you choosing to follow a better opportunity, then no, bailing on the MSc is not likely to present any roadblocks.

What is required to complete the MSc?

You probably have all of the coursework ... just need to write a thesis on a research project?

Talk to your adviser ... you may be able to "double up". Sometimes when you are in a PhD program you only need to complete the course work for the MS if the other department approves.

I understand the importance of completing your academic degrees and the potential concerns you may have about not finishing your M.Sc. However, I want to assure you that your current situation as a third year PhD student with multiple research fellowships is a strong indicator of your abilities and potential as a researcher. The fact that you were able to secure these fellowships and continue on to a PhD program speaks highly of your qualifications and dedication to your field.

In terms of finding a postdoctoral position, I do not believe that not completing your M.Sc. will be a significant hindrance. Your PhD and the research experience you have gained through your fellowships will be the main focus for potential postdoc positions. Additionally, many postdoc positions may not require a completed M.Sc., as they are often looking for candidates with a strong research background and potential for future success.

However, if you feel that not completing your M.Sc. may be a concern for certain positions or for your own personal satisfaction, I would encourage you to consider finishing it. It may also provide you with additional skills and knowledge that could be beneficial in your current and future research endeavors.

Ultimately, the decision to finish your M.Sc. should be based on your personal goals and priorities. But please know that your current achievements and qualifications are strong indicators of your potential and should not be overshadowed by not completing your M.Sc. Best of luck in your academic and research journey.

FAQ: Will Not Finishing My M.Sc. Affect My Postdoctoral Opportunities?

What is an M.Sc. and why is it important?

An M.Sc., or Master of Science, is a postgraduate degree that typically requires 2-3 years of study after completing a bachelor's degree. It is important because it provides advanced knowledge and specialized skills in a specific field, making graduates more competitive in the job market.

Why have you not finished your M.Sc.?

There could be various reasons why someone has not finished their M.Sc., such as financial constraints, personal circumstances, or lack of interest. It's important to understand that everyone's academic journey is unique and it's okay if someone hasn't completed their M.Sc. for valid reasons.

Is it possible to complete an M.Sc. after a long break?

Yes, it is possible to complete an M.Sc. after a long break. Many universities offer flexible options for completing a degree, such as part-time or online courses, which can accommodate individuals who have taken a break from their studies.

Will not having an M.Sc. limit my career opportunities?

Not having an M.Sc. may limit some career opportunities that require this specific degree. However, there are many other factors that employers consider, such as skills, experience, and personal qualities. It's important to focus on developing oneself and gaining relevant experience, rather than just obtaining a degree.

What are the alternatives to completing an M.Sc.?

There are various alternatives to completing an M.Sc., such as pursuing a different postgraduate degree, taking specialized courses or certifications, or gaining relevant work experience. It's important to evaluate one's career goals and choose the path that aligns with them best.

Back