I have no idea how to do (very very basic) proofs help guide me?

In summary: Yes, it does remind me of stuff! We can write this as (A\cap B^\complement)\cup (A\cap B). So this proves that A=(A\setminus B)\cup (A\cap B).Alright, so we've proved that A=B. Next we need to show that A\cup B is also the disjoint union of A\B and A intersect B.This is straightforward. We can write it as (A\cup B)\cap (A\cap B). So this proves that A\cup B is also the disjoint union of A\B and A intersect B.
nachosamurai

Homework Statement

Let A and B be any sets.

1: Prove A is the disjoint union of A\B and A intersect B.

2: Prove A U B is the disjoint union of A\B, A intersect B, and B\A.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand most of the basic terminology used. I know disjoint means that no elements in one are in the other; on a Venn diagram they would not be overlapping at all. I know a union includes all elements from either set. I'm guessing a disjoint union just means that they are two disjoint sets?

I understand that these would all be disjoint, by use of Venn diagrams that I drew myself to help get my head around this new, alien type of math problem.

What I don't get is how to even begin proving this type of thing. My professor gave us some examples of other proofs, which often begin by supposing X is an element of one of the sets, and working with it. They were on different types of questions, though, so I can't figure out how to translate them to this particular question.

Honestly, I don't really understand how he comes up with his examples on any of this "discrete" math.

I'm not asking for you to do this problem for me, but rather to help me learn how to think logically and attack this type of thing myself. How do I even begin to construct a basic proof?

Assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It may be fruitful to think of the equivalency A=B as [tex](A\subset B) \cap (B\subset A)[/tex]. That is, show for an element a in A, show that it lies also within B, and for an element b in B, show that it also lies within A. For disjointedness, there are probably many ways to show it, but I think that if I were to solve it I might attack it by contradiction.

First I just want to make sure I know what you're asking: did you mean to write:

"Prove [tex] A\cup B=(A\setminus B)\cup (A\cap B)\cup (B\setminus A)[/tex]?"

OK, I had a slight mistake in the problem. There are two separate but similar problems, and I got confused about which one I was reading half-way through the problem.

I've updated them in the original post, and will repeat it here as well:

Let A and B be any sets.

2: Prove A U B is the disjoint union of A\B, A intersect B, and B\A.

The way they are written is identical to that. As I understand it, the "and" in these problems does not equal "union". Am I correct?

Last edited:
Alright, let's deal with #1:
"prove [tex]A=(A\setminus B)\cup (A\cap B)[/tex]"

First, do you see that [tex]A\setminus B=A\cap B^\complement[/tex]?

Well, I'm still confused why we're turning "and" into the union symbol. Is that what we're supposed to do?

As far as A\B = A intersect B-compliment, I understand that. Everything in A that's not in B is equal to everything that's in both A and everything that's not in B, and also in A.

But but but... and = union?

nachosamurai said:
Well, I'm still confused why we're turning "and" into the union symbol. Is that what we're supposed to do?

As far as A\B = A intersect B-compliment, I understand that. Everything in A that's not in B is equal to everything that's in both A and everything that's not in B, and also in A.

But but but... and = union?

The statement "union of X and Y" means [tex]X\cup Y[/tex].

Sorry, I don't mean to be difficult, but going back to what you wrote

nachosamurai said:
1: Prove A is the disjoint union of A\B and A [tex]\cup[/tex] B.

that says to me, prove [tex]A=(A\setminus B)\cup (A\cup B)[/tex], which isn't true in general. Are you sure it isn't

1: Prove A is the disjoint union of A\B and A [tex]\cap[/tex] B.

ah, shoot, yes >.< you're correct, it should be this:

That's what i get for trying to mess around with these symbols, I have no idea how to do it correctly on these boards and didn't even notice I had made a union sign instead of an intersect sign. Going to stick to text for now.

Okay, we're on the same page now.

First a comment, when you asked if and=union, perhaps you were thinking of if x is in A and B, then [tex]x\in A\cap B[/tex]. But this is different to the 'and' in "union of X and Y"

Back to the problem. So you realize [tex]A\setminus B=A\cap B^\complement[/tex]. We want to show [tex]A=(A\setminus B)\cup (A\cap B)[/tex]. We can write the right hand side as [tex](A\cap B^\complement)\cup (A\cap B)[/tex]. Does this remind you of some identity?

Thank you very much, I think I see how I can proceed from here :)

So basically it's all a matter of re-writing these to be easier to prove, eh?

nachosamurai said:
So basically it's all a matter of re-writing these to be easier to prove, eh?

For these kind of problems, yes. It might also be helpful to draw out the Venn diagrams to visualize what's going on.

What is a proof?

A proof is a logical argument that provides evidence for the truth of a statement or proposition. It involves using established principles and rules of logic to demonstrate the validity of a claim.

Why do I need to learn how to do proofs?

Proofs are an essential part of mathematics and other scientific disciplines. They help us to understand and justify the reasoning behind mathematical concepts and theories, and to make sure that our conclusions are accurate and reliable.

What are some common strategies for approaching proofs?

Some common strategies for approaching proofs include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps, using logical reasoning and deduction, and considering different cases or scenarios.

How can I improve my skills in doing proofs?

One way to improve your skills in doing proofs is to practice regularly. Start with simpler problems and work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to study and analyze proofs done by others to understand their thought processes and techniques.

What should I do if I get stuck on a proof?

If you get stuck on a proof, try taking a step back and approaching it from a different angle. Sometimes, it can be helpful to discuss the problem with a classmate or instructor, or to seek out additional resources or examples for guidance.