I Just Discovered the Best Way to Learn New Terms for School

In summary, using flashcards or rote memorization to study terminology may help with cramming for an exam, but it does not effectively integrate the vocabulary into long-term usage. Instead, using the words in sentences and actively incorporating them into one's daily vocabulary is a more effective method. This technique has been around for at least 100 years and has proven to be successful. It is important to regularly use the words in order for them to become firmly embedded in one's memory. Having a confident and positive attitude towards learning is also beneficial.
Psych101
I noticed that a lot of people simply use flashcards over and over again for studying the terminology of various subjects. Or they just re-read the terms and their definitions over and over again from their notes or textbook. While this can help you study for an exam via cramming, the problem is those methods (rote memorization-based) don't really help add those terms and vocabulary into your daily vocabulary for long-term usage. For example, I don't think most people would still be able to use most of those terms weeks much less years after the exam.

In order to actually have various terms and vocabulary become integrated into your vocabulary, you should probably use those terms extensively in various sentences you've can come up with. For example, I was just studying about Circadian Rhythms (your biological clock), Entraining (i.e. changing your biological clock), and Zeitgeber (this literally meaning "time giver". Zeitgeber, by the way, is defined as "factors that change your biological clock such as the amount of light or darkness time, your work schedule, and your exercising habits) I noticed how much easier and more proficient using those terms in sentences helps in learning the terms.

For the above three, bolded terms, an example of a meaningful and interesting sentence they could be used in would be this: "My Circadian Rhythms were entrained by Zeitgebers such as the constant daylight of the Sweden's winter. This resulted in sleeping difficulty for me".

Does this make sense? I think this is a pretty amazing discovery I just found. I only wished I discovered or knew about it earlier.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about math and physics?

Psych101 said:
Does this make sense? I think this is a pretty amazing discovery I just found. I only wished I discovered or knew about it earlier.

The concept of learning vocabulary by using words in sentences rather than than using thing like flash cards has been around for at least 100 years, probably longer, so no I don't think it's all that amazing that you have "discovered" it.

It's a good technique and served me well when I was studying for the SAT's about 50 years ago.

Psych101 said:
I believe you're onto something. Actually using the word to convey its meaning is active rather than passive, and will stick it more firmly in your mind.

It makes perfect sense.
I often debate online quite a bit about similar topics, and use some rather esoteric words because of the nature of the debates, and I've noticed those carried over into my every day speech. I sometimes catch myself about to use one of those words and purposely not use it just so people don't think I'm trying to sound smart, or because I'm 99% sure they wouldn't know what that word means, even though it would have been a legitimate usage. When I'm online though, I'll use any word because if a person doesn't know what the word means, then they can open up a new tab and go look it up. Or they can double click the word if they have the same application I have that brings up a small window showing the definition of the word you double clicked.

mr. vodka said:
What about math and physics?
You still need to use the words to some regularity. Besides you can do that either through reading your textbooks a lot (which gives you a meaningful context to put those words in. That is one of the main ways we are able to acquire so many words in vocabulary) and doing problems (which require you to process the terms and vocabulary in such a way that it can be used in a meaningful context).

phinds said:
The concept of learning vocabulary by using words in sentences rather than than using thing like flash cards has been around for at least 100 years, probably longer, so no I don't think it's all that amazing that you have "discovered" it.

It's a good technique and served me well when I was studying for the SAT's about 50 years ago.
I never claimed that nobody knew about this before I "discovered" it. What I meant by "discovered" is that I suddenly realized how effective this method was a few days ago (even though I heard of this somewhere before, I didn't start using it until recently).

Psych101 I also think that is an amazing discovery! Not sure where phinds head is at with his "not your discovery" comment clearly it is yours.

That is a great way to learn new vocabulary. In particular the strong context the sentence/paragraph provides & how that will place it into the "right place" in you memory.

What's more I think a very confident + positive attitude is hopeful when learning, good on ya!

What is the best way to learn new terms for school?

The best way to learn new terms for school is by using a combination of techniques such as repetition, active recall, and spaced learning. Repetition involves repeatedly reviewing the terms until they become familiar. Active recall involves actively trying to recall the terms from memory rather than simply reading them over and over. Spaced learning involves spacing out your study sessions over a longer period of time instead of cramming them all into one session.

How can I make learning new terms more fun and engaging?

You can make learning new terms more fun and engaging by incorporating games, flashcards, and other interactive activities into your study routine. You can also try studying with a friend or in a group to make the process more enjoyable.

Is it better to study new terms in short or long sessions?

It is generally better to study new terms in shorter, more frequent sessions rather than one long study session. This allows your brain to process and retain the information more effectively. However, it is important to find a study schedule that works best for you.

How can I ensure that I remember the new terms for a longer period of time?

To ensure that you remember the new terms for a longer period of time, it is important to review them regularly and incorporate them into your daily life. You can also try teaching the terms to someone else or creating visual aids to help you remember them.

Are there any specific strategies for learning terms in a foreign language?

Yes, there are specific strategies for learning terms in a foreign language. These include immersing yourself in the language by practicing with native speakers, using mnemonic devices to remember difficult terms, and practicing active recall by attempting to use the terms in conversation or writing.