Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I lost all faith in my education (mentally)

1. Mar 30, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

"I lost all faith in my education" (mentally)

I took a test in my Linear Algebra/Differential equations class today

Actually, the test took me :grumpy:

and it did a good job of chewing me up and spitting me out.

I'm guaranteed an F on it. I left that room feeling violated. 5 questions, most of which dealing with just 1 concept :mad: :mad: :mad:

ROAR!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2006 #2
    Sucks man. I have thermo on monday. I started studying yesterday. I raped the first one though, ba ha ha ha. 83%. Class avg 60%

4. Mar 30, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The funny part was that someone told me after class that they saw the title of the book she was reading wihle we were taking the test. "How to be a better teacher" :grumpy:

5. Mar 30, 2006 #4
    Did you study?

Can she lend that book to my stat teacher?
    (To his defense, his tests are a JOKE and he grades very EASY)

6. Mar 30, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I studied a decent amount... but everything i studied for wasn't on the test! or most of it wasn't. It was just 5 problems as well so it was pretty much cherry-picked as to what was on the test.

7. Mar 30, 2006 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had to repeat that class (systems of DEs). My prof wanted us to solve 3 equation systems, but did not give partial credit for approach, to get points you had to get the ARITHMIC of solving a 3X3 matrix correct. In those days I was neither accurate or quick in doing arithmetic. Of course this was when programmable calculators where just coming on the market (1975). So we could not simply enter the numbers and push a button.

8. Mar 30, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

We aren't allowed to use calculators so it's very possible to screw up your algebra during the matrix arithmatic

9. Mar 30, 2006 #8
    I did not use calculators either, but it was not necessary. But then again, my class was not both. I took a class in each. I guess you learned the hard way what a descent amount of studying gets you, a decent grade.

10. Mar 30, 2006 #9
    I had a precalculus test today. It was pretty easy (I didn't pay much attention in class because he started with complex numbers, so I zoned out thinking I didn't need to pay attention. Bad me.). As far as rape goes, I think this test raped a lot of people, since when the bell rang, NO ONE ran toward the door (I wasn't even positive class was over, despite the bell, because people leaving has always been my indicator!).

11. Mar 30, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I have a pretty bad feeling about minoring in math.... it's 2 more classes... but i still have a feeling i will die because of math.

12. Mar 30, 2006 #11
    Stop complaining. Math is SOOOO much easier than physics. I am seriously considering taking some extra math next summer for the hell of it. Maybe a course in PDE's or complex calculus. Advanced calculus seems like a good course; however, it's too formal and purely mathematics. It would be a waste of time really.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  13. Mar 30, 2006 #12
    I was getting ready to raise objections myself, pattylou, as I read down the thread, but you covered it well. I wouldn't call you a party pooper. There's alot of kids on the forum lately and things need to be explained.

edit: least I appear crazy, apparently pattylou deleted her post.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  14. Mar 30, 2006 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well of course its easier then physics but my god, i can't handle all this abstract crap. When the hell am i going to be modeling a system using the 6th derivative of something?!?!

15. Mar 30, 2006 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

pattylou, you deleted your post, but I think you raised a very valid point. The word "rape" brings an act of violence to mind even for those that haven't been victimized.

16. Mar 30, 2006 #15
    6th derivative? Don't you mean second order systems? The abstract is the best part of math, buddy. Theory is the cool part. Who cares about solving problems, we have computers for that.

17. Mar 30, 2006 #16
    Two wrongs make a pengwunio.

18. Mar 30, 2006 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

and 10 wrongs make a right according to one of my chemistry experiments a few weeks ago

19. Mar 30, 2006 #18
    This is why you get F's...

One time we had to find the molecular weight of an unknown via a titration lab. I took my time, and got it right to 0.1g :tongue: Damn I was happy. My teacher wrote, Excellent!

20. Mar 30, 2006 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

In the abstract...

21. Mar 30, 2006 #20
    My math test are so bad I almost thought calling the police to report rape.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?