1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need a hand with this integral? probably not even that difficult?

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I need to evaluate [tex]\int e\stackrel{-(r/R)}{}sin(qr/h)dr[/tex] between r=0 and r=[tex]\infty[/tex] but I keep getting stuck.

I hae tried integrating by parts but the integral just keeps getting more complicated, and I have tried substituting in sin(x) = (1/2i)(e^ix - e^-ix) but that gave me the result that the whole thing is equal to infinity, which I know to be wrong.

can anybody suggest some sort of method or substitution that I could use?
    this is driving me up the wall now.
    cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2
    And yet it should have worked... Did you find an antiderivative for [tex]e^{-\frac r R}\sin\left(\frac{qr}{h}\right)[/tex] ?

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your first approach would have worked if you chose the right things for u and dv, and if you had done integration by parts a second time.

For the first integration by parts, choose u = e-Ar and dv = cos(Br)dr. For the sake of simplicity, A = 1/R and B = q/h.

That should give you an integral with e-Ar and sin(Br). Perform integration by parts a second time, with u = e-Ar and dv = sin(Br)dr. This second integration by parts will give you an integral with e-Ar and cos(Br), which is the same as what you started with. At this point you will have your original integral on the left side, and some expression plus a multiple of your original integral on the right side.

Bring both integral terms to one side and solve algebraically for your integral.

5. Oct 18, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi jeebs! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and an infinity: ∞ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: what is e-r/Rsin(qr/h) the imaginary part of? :wink:

6. Oct 18, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let [itex]u=e^{r/R}[/itex] and [itex]dv= sin(qr/h)dr[/itex]. Then [itex]du= e^{r/R}/R dr[/itex] and [itex]v= -(h/q) cos(qr/h)[/itex].

[itex]\int e^{r/R}sin(qr/h)dr= -(h/q)e^{r/R}cos(qr/h)+ (h/(qR))\int e^{r/R}cos(qr/h)dr[/itex]. Now do it again, again letting [itex]u= e^{r/R}[/itex] and [itex]dv= sin(qr/h)r[/itex]. You will get a term involving [itex]\int e^{r/R}sin(qr/h)dr[/itex] again. Do not integrate by parts a third time. Instead, solve the equation, algebraically, for [itex]\int e^{r/R}sin(qr/h)dr[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook