Help My Grandson Prepare for Internship in Gaming Company

In summary: He should check out Unity. Games developed on it can be deployed to a lot of different OS environments.
yungman
My grandson is staying 2 days with us before going back to college in Washington State. He's a CS major and he is interested in gaming. He want to get an intern job with a gaming company this summer. I told him the first thing is to see what language they use for their games, it's C++.

His school is Java based. I advice him to get deeper into C++. He had one semester of C++ that he used Gaddis. I described before already, they cover to chapter 11 and totally skipped pointers. I definitely don't think it's enough. I advice him to learn more C++ before summer as I think it's important to know the language before interviewing for the job.

But obviously, who am I to advice him on CS. So I want some input on what he should look into learning if his intention is to get a intern job in gaming place.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes sysprog
Technology news on Phys.org
i think it just depends. I’m sure C/C++ will be good in general. However the Unity Game Engine, as an example supports C# and JavaScript.

He should check out Unity. Games developed on it can be deployed to a lot of different OS environments.

https://unity.com/

There are other gaming engines that a google search should bring up where you can see what languages are supported by game extensions or what language the engine was written in.

I’ve also heard that Go from Google has been used for game writing and there are some gaming packages that you can download for it.

Likes sysprog and yungman
You are correct. The language they use where he wants to work is definitely the one he should learn. C++ is always a good one for serious programming.

Likes Klystron, Jarvis323, sysprog and 1 other person
Thanks Guys, I had him read the replies already.

jedishrfu said:
i think it just depends. I’m sure C/C++ will be good in general. However the Unity Game Engine, as an example supports C# and JavaScript.

He should check out Unity. Games developed on it can be deployed to a lot of different OS environments.

https://unity.com/

There are other gaming engines that a google search should bring up where you can see what languages are supported by game extensions or what language the engine was written in.

I’ve also heard that Go from Google has been used for game writing and there are some gaming packages that you can download for it.
This non-timed game that is built on the Unity Games platform may sometimes save your kid from boredom ##-## oh, but of course, like pretty much everything else: don't do it while driving ##-## https://apkpure.com/circuit-scramble-computer-logic-puzzles/com.Suborbital.CircuitScramble

1610516187927.png

(solution: hit the left switch and the third (left-to right) light button ##-## of course it won't work on this post ##-## that's just an image)

Last edited:
Likes Jarvis323
yungman said:
He want to get an intern job with a gaming company this summer.
jedishrfu said:
@yungman -- what platform(s) do the companies use that your son is interested in working for? PCs? PlayStation? Phones?

Likes Jarvis323 and sysprog

1. What skills should my grandson focus on to prepare for an internship in a gaming company?

Your grandson should focus on developing his technical skills in areas such as programming, game design, and graphic design. He should also work on his creativity, problem-solving abilities, and teamwork skills.

2. How can my grandson make his resume stand out to a gaming company?

To make his resume stand out, your grandson should highlight any relevant experience or projects he has worked on, whether it be personal game development or participation in game development competitions. He should also emphasize any technical skills he has, such as programming languages or software proficiency.

3. What should my grandson expect during the interview process for a gaming company internship?

The interview process for a gaming company internship may vary, but typically it will involve technical questions to assess your grandson's skills and knowledge in game development. The company may also ask about his interests and goals within the gaming industry.

4. How can my grandson network and connect with professionals in the gaming industry?

Your grandson can attend gaming industry events, conferences, and meetups to network with professionals. He can also reach out to alumni or professionals in the gaming industry through LinkedIn or other networking platforms.

5. What are some potential benefits of completing an internship in a gaming company?

An internship in a gaming company can provide your grandson with hands-on experience in game development, exposure to the industry and its trends, and the opportunity to network with professionals. It can also potentially lead to a full-time job offer or serve as a valuable addition to his resume.