I need some help with a simple, battery-powered car

• Thread starter peteman6277
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, this person is trying to make an electric car that can be powered by a motor and a battery. They are having trouble with the logistics of making the car actually work.
peteman6277
Hi all,

I'm trying to construct a simple battery-powered electric car. I have a simple, albeit working, motor with a 9V battery, ceramic magnets, and a coil made of thin magnetic wire. When the circuit is closed and I put the magnets in some location underneath the coil, a simple flick will get it spinning.

Now my question is how can I turn this into mechanical energy that can turn an axle? I'm having trouble hooking up such thin magnetic wire to the axle with wheels. The wheels are small rubber ones from a toy car, so I could always change that. Right now the motor is simply built on a cardboard base, so I'm just having trouble with the logistics of actually utilizing the motor. I'm fairly inexperienced at physics, especially a project like this, so any advice would really be appreciated. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure what you mean by magnetic wire. I hope it is just copper wire.

First, you need to get a rotating shaft with enough torque that it is difficult to stop it with your fingers. It must also be self starting because you won't be able to flick it when it is in the car. Otherwise get a commercial motor. 9V batteries are expensive so get a 3 Volt motor if you are getting one.
You then put a small pulley on this shaft and a larger one on the back axle which turns with the wheels. The wheels must be bigger than the rear pulley (or the pulley will drag on the ground.)
You then arrange a belt to connect the two pulleys together.
Put some front wheels on it, mount your motor, and it might go.

Find a good hobby store in your area. They will have all sorts of stuff you can use.

Good luck!

What is a simple, battery-powered car?

A simple, battery-powered car is a small vehicle that runs on battery power instead of gasoline or other fuel sources. It is typically designed for children or as a hobby project for adults.

What materials are needed to make a simple, battery-powered car?

The materials needed to make a simple, battery-powered car may vary depending on the design, but generally include a chassis, wheels, motor, battery, and wiring. Other materials such as gears, axles, and switches may also be required depending on the specific design.

Do I need any special skills or knowledge to build a simple, battery-powered car?

While some basic knowledge of electronics and mechanics may be helpful, it is not necessary to have any special skills or knowledge to build a simple, battery-powered car. There are many resources available online that provide step-by-step instructions and beginner-friendly projects.

How long does it take to build a simple, battery-powered car?

The time it takes to build a simple, battery-powered car will depend on your level of experience and the complexity of the design. It could take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to complete, but it is a fun and rewarding project that can be done at your own pace.

What are some common issues or challenges when building a simple, battery-powered car?

Some common issues or challenges when building a simple, battery-powered car may include choosing the right materials, ensuring proper wiring and connections, and troubleshooting any mechanical or electrical problems. It is important to follow instructions carefully and to be patient when facing challenges.