Calculating Power Generated by DC Generator for 6V Battery

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving charging a 6V battery using a simple DC generator powered by a manually spun wheel. The equations for the generator's output voltage are E = N B v sin(theta) x 10-8, where E is the voltage, N is the number of turns, B is the flux density, and theta is the angle between the coil's vector and the magnetic field. However, the issue is that this only gives the voltage and not the actual power generated. One solution could be to use the equation P = V^2/R, where P is power, V is voltage, and R is impedance. This could help determine the power needed to light a bulb for a given duration.
cloud_skyblue
Hi, I'm trying to work on this interesting little project that involves charging a 6V battery using a simple DC generator powered by a wheel spun manually. The equations for the DC generator output would be :

E = N B v sin(theta) x 10-8

if I'm correct. E being the voltage, N=number of turns, B=flux density, and theta is the angle between the coil's vector and the magnetic field.

My problem is, this only gives me the voltage. How would I get the actual power generated by the generator? All I know about the battery is that it is 6V and 5AH.

My goal is to have the battery power up a light bulb for a given duration. Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
P = V^2/R

If the generator gives the impedance you can plug the numbers.

What is a DC generator?

A DC generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It works on the principle of electromagnetic induction, where a rotating armature is placed in a magnetic field, causing a voltage to be induced and creating a flow of electrical current.

How is power generated by a DC generator calculated?

The power generated by a DC generator can be calculated by multiplying the voltage output by the current output. This can be represented by the equation P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps.

What is the relationship between battery voltage and power generated by a DC generator?

The power generated by a DC generator is directly proportional to the battery voltage. This means that an increase in battery voltage will result in an increase in power output, and vice versa.

Can a DC generator generate power without a battery?

Yes, a DC generator can generate power without a battery, as long as there is a source of mechanical energy to rotate the armature. However, the power output may not be consistent or stable without a battery to regulate the voltage.

How do factors such as resistance and efficiency affect the power generated by a DC generator?

Resistance in the circuit can decrease the amount of power generated by a DC generator, as it can cause a drop in voltage. Efficiency, on the other hand, refers to the percentage of input energy that is converted into output energy, and a higher efficiency will result in a higher power output.