Angular Velocity of Electrically Powered Motor

In summary: It is a diagram of a simple electric motor. There is a wire loop with a magnetic field around it. The wire loops around the magnetic field and causes the magnetic field to spin the motor.
Physicist97
Hello! This isn't a homework question, and I don't think it is too homework-like, but if I'm mistaken I apologize. My question is if you had a battery, or some source of electrical energy, hooked up to a coil of wire in a constant magnetic field, in such a way that the wire spins around (basically an electric motor), would this be a correct equation for angular velocity of the motor? (I have heard electric motors have something called a Commutator on them so that even a direct current will switch directions periodically, so let's assume this is part of my hypothetical motor).

The power from the battery will be ##P=V^{2}/R## where ##V## is the voltage of the battery, ##R## is the total resistance. Power is also the inner product of the torque and angular velocity ##P={\tau}{\cdot}{\omega}##. The magnitude of torque produced by a current in a magnetic field I looked up in my notes as ##{\tau}=N(V/R)ABsin({\theta})## , where ##{\theta}## is the angle between the a unit normal vector of the area of the loop, ##A##, and the magnitude of the magnetic field, ##B##, ##N## is the number of turns of wire for the loop and ##V/R## is equal to the current going through it. So plugging that torque into the definition of power gives you ##V^{2}/R=N(V/R)ABsin({\theta})n{\cdot}{\omega}## , where ##n## is a vector pointing in the direction of torque. Simplifying and solving for ##{\omega}## gives ##n{\cdot}{\omega}={\frac{V}{NAB}}csc{\theta}##.

Is this correct, or have I made a mistake? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
RI=V is no longer valid as the motion of the coil in the field will contribute to the voltage.
Also, ##\omega## is not constant as torque depends on the orientation of the coil.

Likes Physicist97
Thank you for the quick reply! Right, due to Faraday's Law an electric potential is generated, completely forgot about that. Would it be possible to figure an equation like this out or will it just become more and more complicated?

If you include induction, you get a torque that depends on both the angle and the angular velocity. This leads to a differential equation. If you also add some friction, it might be possible to average over one cycle, then the equation should have a nice solution.

Likes Physicist97
****There are many motors-- things that translate electrical energy to mechanical energy. Which one do you have in mind?

Likes Physicist97

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point. It is measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

How is angular velocity related to electrically powered motors?

Electrically powered motors use electrical energy to produce a rotational motion, which is measured by its angular velocity. The higher the electric current, the faster the motor will rotate, resulting in a higher angular velocity.

What factors affect the angular velocity of an electrically powered motor?

The angular velocity of an electrically powered motor is affected by several factors, including the strength of the electric current, the number of windings in the motor's coils, the size and weight of the rotor, and the amount of friction and resistance in the motor's bearings.

How is angular velocity calculated for an electrically powered motor?

The angular velocity of an electrically powered motor can be calculated by dividing the number of rotations per unit time by the time taken to complete those rotations. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by multiplying the motor's angular acceleration by the time.

Why is understanding angular velocity important for scientists studying electrically powered motors?

Understanding angular velocity is crucial for scientists studying electrically powered motors as it helps them determine the motor's performance and efficiency. It also allows them to make adjustments to improve the motor's operation and design more efficient and powerful motors for various applications.