Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need the acoustic properties of all materials more specifically carbon fiber

1. May 13, 2009 #1
    Does anybody know the acoustic properties of carbon fiber. I've used google extensively but I've had no success. Is there a well known reference book within the materials engineering realm that gives the sound absorption coefficient (also known as the Noise Reduction Coefficient (NRC)) of varius materials?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2009 #2
    Re: I need the acoustic properties of all materials...more specifically...carbon fibe

Carbon Fiber is typically an anisotropic composite material and also can use many different kinds of bonding agents, lattice geometry, laminate layers, etc. I don't think you will find any general material property values for a composite material such as carbon fiber.

4. May 13, 2009 #3
    Re: I need the acoustic properties of all materials...more specifically...carbon fibe

Do you know if carbon fiber absorbs sound better than fiberglass?

5. Jul 12, 2010 #4

SFB

Anyone knows the acoustic impedance of paper. I mean the paper that is used to make a paper box?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook