1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need to understand partial derivatives.

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the indicated partial derivative.

[tex]u=e^{r\theta}\sin\theta; \frac{\partial^3u}{\partial r^2\partial\theta}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I started to derive [tex]u_{\theta}[/tex] and I attained

[tex]r*e^{r\theta}\sin\theta + e^{r\theta}\cos\theta[/tex]

But now I dont know how to take the derivative of the first equation, because there are 3 terms. It has been a few years since I have taken any math (I can assure you I won't take anymore breaks)

I just dont know where to go to attain [tex]u_{\theta r}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2007 #2
    Actually there are two terms for you to derive, since your next objective is to derive with respect to r. In this process, you will treat [tex]\sin(\theta)[/tex] as a constant. Do you recall how to do product rule?

[Edit]Oh of course you do, you just did it on your first derivation lol. Like I said, treat sine term as constant, derive with respect to r and apply product rule.

4. Oct 3, 2007 #3
    thank you for the response. so it should be [tex]\theta e^{r\theta}\sin\theta + \theta e^{r\theta}\cos\theta[/tex] ?

If so I'm not sure how I attain an r anywhere from this. The answer in the back of the book is showing a sine term as having an r in front of it.

nevermind, I looked at it for just a few more seconds and found the mistake.
    Thanks so much

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  5. Oct 3, 2007 #4
    you do it the same but remember that you need to split up that derivative into 2 derivatives. and then you do the derivative of each term with respect to r just like you did in the first time with respect to theta.

6. Oct 3, 2007 #5
    No, I think you might've made some simple mistake

[tex]r * \frac{\partial}{\partial r}(e^{r\theta}\sin\theta) + \frac{\partial}{\partial r}r * (e^{r\theta}\sin\theta)[/tex]

Do this for me and see what you get.

7. Oct 3, 2007 #6
    I have another question if you could help me please. I have a derivation done by my professor but I'm having problems getting this.

Question

verify that the function [tex]u=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}} [/tex] is a solution of the three-dimensional Laplace Equation [tex]u_{xx}+u_{yy}+u_{zz}=0[/tex].

Attempt at a solution

[tex]u={(x^2+y^2+z^2)}^{-1/2}[/tex]
    [tex]u_x=-{(x^2+y^2+z^2)}^{-3/2}x[/tex]
    [tex]u_{xx}=-3{(x^2+y^2+z^2)}^{5/2}x^2-{(x^2+y^2+z^2)}^{-3/2}[/tex]

He goes on to answer the question, but I do not understand where [tex]-{(x^2+y^2+z^2)}^{-3/2}[/tex] comes from. And if I didn't catch everything he wrote down, then I'm not seeing what I am missing. [edit] OR why it is there.

Please help.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  8. Oct 3, 2007 #7
    In order to do the derivative of [tex]u_x[/tex] you need to use the product rule which gives you the [tex]u_{xx}[/tex]

9. Oct 3, 2007 #8
    Thank you so much. I really cannot comprehend product rule! :frown:

10. Oct 3, 2007 #9
    well it's exactly the same as the Calc I product rule just that now you take other variables like y,z in this case to be constants.

for your problem: say you had g(x,y,z)*h(x,y,z) and you need the derivative with respect to x. to solve it you need to use the product rule and you'll get:
    (g(x,y,z)*h(x,y,z))'=g(x,y,z)*h'(x,y,z)+h(x,y,z)*g'(x,y,z)

in your case h(x,y,z)=-x and g(x,y,z)=[tex](x^2+y^2+z^2)^{-3/2}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?