I.Q. Test - Certified and 15 minutes

• Thread starter Chaos' lil bro Order
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary: Hehe, i like how they offer some stupid test that's "Our most difficult IQ test!" Someones missing the point of IQ tests...I scored 187. I think it was a bit low, but I finished it while making dinner for the kids (souffle de Saint-Ange); I guess I was distracted.I scored 187. I think it was a bit low, but I finished it while making dinner for the kids (souffle de Saint-Ange); I guess I was distracted.If someone takes the time to really study and learn more than the average person, they would do better on a real IQ test than on this fake one. If someone takes the time to
Physics news on Phys.org
LOL. Nice test. I should start writing IQ tests. This is great.

"Do you like apples?"

"Are apples delicious?"

"What is the next word in the series: oranges, bananas, grapefruit, _____"

"Which is better, trigonometry or apples?"

Evo, what are the correct answers to these two, and why:

IQ.jpg

IQ2.jpg

These completely baffle me.

Yo, Mentor, what's the color that completely hides the spoiler? Fix dis! (pretty please)
1st one is C, but I think there is a mistake in the given set, or I have the wrong idea; second choice is D. Second one is H, positive about that one. EDIT: no I'm not.

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:
Yo, Mentor, what's the color that completely hides the spoiler? Fix dis!
1st one is C, second one is H

1st one is E, second one is B

Last edited:
waht said:

You're right about B on the second one

The first one is D. It's the superimpose of the other two in the same row or column, with common lines removed. (XOR, in digital logic terms)

pattern in first one: there is 3 independent sets of shapes composed of 3 like sets (two with 3 verticies and one with 4 verticies) what is missing is a set with 3 verticies of a like shape. Also disregard the square.

Last edited:
Explanation:

The first one takes the first two in a row and performs a logical exclusive OR. So where blacks overlap, black is subtracted, where black exists in only one of the two elements, it is kept.

So D

The second one is set completion. Note that all squares have one empty dot on the outside, empty dot on the inside, and solid dot on the inside. The same for the circles. Naturally the same would be required for the triangles. A triangle with dot inside is the only one missing.

So B

There is an untimed IQ test here.

"www.etienne.nu/cfnse/"[/URL]

This one is only for high performers. I believe scoring only starts around 130 IQ, so anyone below this will get a 0 relative score.

[PLAIN]http://www.iqtest.dk"

This one is a derivative of raven's progressive matrices and suitable for anyone. It is timed. If I recall correctly, it has a sizeable random sample from the population of Denmark, so it should be respectably accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
waht said:

We have spoiler tags now. The new tests from the high IQ society are absolutely appaling compared to the old ones. General knowledge should not be on an IQ test. They used to have the Haselbauer-Dickheiser test up there which was fun if you enjoyed a mind bending puzzle or two. Like Evo has stated they are not properly administered IQ tests and should be taken lightly.

What's the point of a "real" IQ test? Does it consider factors like determination, strong will power, goals?

Person with high IQ can spend his whole life doing something that neither benefits him or the society (even counter productive to his/her own welfare) but shouldn't one with high IQ be able to see what's the best course of action to choose and be able to easily understand that social/personal welfare is one of the important criteria in comparing different decisions? Thus one with high IQ should have better goals than one with lower if better thinking capabilities means the person would think fast/better..

I just don't understand how a person with better thinking abilities can outperform one with lower (or is different when we consider the products/services created by them) and what's the criteria to decide (money, social contribution etc) what's better.

The IQ test was originally developed to detect mental retardation and learning disabilities.

Negatron said:
Explanation:

The first one takes the first two in a row and performs a logical exclusive OR. So where blacks overlap, black is subtracted, where black exists in only one of the two elements, it is kept.

So D

you are right
XORing makes a lot of sense, and it's more compelling then the other approach.

Kurdt said:
We have spoiler tags now. The new tests from the high IQ society are absolutely appaling compared to the old ones. General knowledge should not be on an IQ test. They used to have the Haselbauer-Dickheiser test up there which was fun if you enjoyed a mind bending puzzle or two. Like Evo has stated they are not properly administered IQ tests and should be taken lightly.

yea I know, some of the tests are a good exercise though, just for fun.

rootX said:
Person with high IQ can spend his whole life doing something that neither benefits him or the society (even counter productive to his/her own welfare) but shouldn't one with high IQ be able to see what's the best course of action to choose and be able to easily understand that social/personal welfare is one of the important criteria in comparing different decisions? Thus one with high IQ should have better goals than one with lower if better thinking capabilities means the person would think fast/better.

Not everyone has motivation and diligence. Successful people are good with other people. However, human relations are often contradictory, and that poses a problem for those who extend rationality to maximum. I guess the view of the world becomes hopeless, and it would be absurd to do anything.

Last edited:
Negatron said:
Explanation:

That's simpler than my reasoning; I figured the rule was "remove one line from each of the first two, then superimpose for the third." But the second didn't quite fit this rule, so I thought it might be "superimpose the first two, then remove one line from the result." This works, interestingly enough, but for some reason I thought my first choice was more likely. The XOR explanation is wonderfully elegant. I should have taken a circuits class.

124 the first time (at office so not concentrated)
and 151 the second, which seems to be a little bit high :)

Negatron said:
Explanation:

So D

The second one is set completion. Note that all squares have one empty dot on the outside, empty dot on the inside, and solid dot on the inside. The same for the circles. Naturally the same would be required for the triangles. A triangle with dot inside is the only one missing.

So B
Armed with these insights (and two more right answers, of course) I retook the test and my score rose from 106 to 118. I was paying attention to things that didn't matter, like the positions of the little circles in the second one I posted. It seemed their placement had to be part of the pattern they were asking you to perceive but now I see some things can be ignored.

Still, there were many that were out of my grasp. How about this one:

iqa.jpg

Probably E. The bottom left and then top right always rotate counter clockwise 90 degrees.

Kurdt said:
Probably E. The bottom left and then top right always rotate counter clockwise 90 degrees.

I agree, except for the "probably" part.

Chi Meson said:
I agree, except for the "probably" part.

I always like to cover the bases. Especially this late at night :tongue:

Kurdt said:
The bottom left and then top right always rotate counter clockwise 90 degrees.

What?

Nevermind: I get it. The bottom left line rotates 90 about its mid point, then the top right line does the same.

the harder way is to erase the bottom-right line of column 1 elements, and the top-left lines of column 3 elements [as pointed in the figure below], then combine [halfway] both columns 1&3 to get the elements of column 2, so the third element of column 3 would be E

[which is more sense for the sake of column 2 existence]:biggrin:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/125/93230911.jpg

the easy way is as previously described, but for more details, consider column 2 as a mirror, so flip the left side elements then rotate clockwise by 90 degrees, you then get column 3 elements

Last edited by a moderator:
Your way is good, drizzle.

Kurdt was reading from top to bottom. The same works going across in each row if you first rotate the lower right line segment 90 degrees about its midpoint (clockwise or counter; it doesn't matter), to arrive at the middle figure, then rotate the top left line segment about its midpoint to arrive at the third figure. That's Kurdt's method, except going right to left instead of top to bottom.

that’s more sense and simple, I think that I tend to complex the answer more than clarifying it, I wonder what use I can get of that way of thinking?:uhh:

drizzle said:
I think that I tend to complex the answer more than clarifying it, I wonder what use I can get of that way of thinking?:uhh:

That fully qualifies you to engineer cars.

zoobyshoe said:
That fully qualifies you to engineer cars.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

quite hard for a lady to handle, despite the knowledge of such a field :rofl:

CRGreathouse said:
Real IQ tests are mostly a joke. Fake IQ tests are entirely a joke. :approve:

To the contrary: I think I.Q. test scores are an excellent indicator of how well you do on I.Q. tests.

Chaos' lil bro Order said:
http://www.highiqsociety.org/iq_tests/

Do it and post results here.

I went back and took the two here. On the easy one I got 131. On the "hardest" one I got 122.

"...each question is assigned a weighted value and time limit. A complex scoring algorithm takes into account the difficulty level and time remaining for each question when calculating your score. This scoring method is commonplace on professional IQ tests but unique on the Internet."

I wonder if the "complex scoring algorithm" is applied to the ones you got wrong. What's worse: a fast wrong answer or a slow wrong answer?

zoobyshoe said:
...What's worse: a fast wrong answer or a slow wrong answer?

why bothering yourself, in the end they're both wrong:wink:

drizzle said:
why bothering yourself, in the end they're both wrong:wink:
I think the "complex scoring algorithm" might explain how people can score as high as 90 with random choices: you're getting a lot more credit for fast right answers because the mechanism doesn't know they're accidental, but every wrong answer is simply wrong no matter how fast or slow.

I'm thinking if a fast right answer is better than a slow right answer, then a fast wrong answer should be worse than a slow wrong answer.

zoobyshoe said:
...I'm thinking if a fast right answer is better than a slow right answer, then a fast wrong answer should be worse than a slow wrong answer.

now the first part I do agree with you but the 2nd nop and as a conclusion [of my complex thinking] I think you should do select randomly [fast] the answers to questions you have no clue of, by that you would pick AFAP all random answers whether they're the fast right answer or the fast wrong one:approve:

I'm really good at getting the wrong answer faster than most other people.

tribdog said:
I'm really good at getting the wrong answer faster than most other people.

at least, you won’t regret the time lost trying to figure out the right one:rolleyes:, not to mention trying to convince yourself of a solution that is actually wrong, may led you to choose that same answer again [if you face the same question] cause it’s unconsciously stored in your mind..I suppose

neu said:
No, fulfill your dream of becoming an internet moderator.

hahahahhahahaha funny as heck.