1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I think I trisected an angle. SERIOUSLY.

1. Oct 11, 2007 #1
    Angle Trisection

Hello, I know the stuff about how trisecting angles using only a compass and straightedge is impossible. So then could you explain this? I have posted some pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/14902182@N04/ which i made using geometers sketchpad.

Edit: Nevermind. I assumed that slope was the same as an angle.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2007 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The angle you made seems to be [itex]\tan^{-1}3-\frac\pi4\approx26.6^\circ[/itex] which isn't a trisection of the [itex]\tan^{-1}3\approx71.6^\circ[/itex] angle.

More importantly, the trisection must be of a general angle, not of a particular one you decide. I can drop a perpendicular to a line and call it the result a trisected [itex]270^\circ[/itex] angle...

4. Oct 11, 2007 #3
    Nevermind. I assumed that slope was the same as an angle.

5. Oct 12, 2007 #4
    can someone point me to a resource on reading about this whole using circles to do geometric proofs thing. i have no idea how any of these relationships are derived.

6. Oct 12, 2007 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dad, are you SURE you cant get something for nothing?

7. Oct 12, 2007 #6
    Is that directed at me?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook