I think I'm making this problem way too complicated than it really is.

• Thread starter bearhug
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the mass of water on Earth using the surface area and average depth of the oceans. The correct approach is to find the surface area of the Earth, which is 5.1 × 1014 m2, and then find the volume of the oceans, which is 1.2 × 1018 m3. Using the formula D=m/V and converting to kg, the estimated mass of water on Earth is 1.2 × 1021 kilograms. However, there may have been an arithmetic or unit conversion error in the original calculation.
bearhug
Assuming that 71% of the Earth’s surface is covered with water at an average depth of 2.1 mi, estimate the mass of the water on the Earth in kilograms.

What I originally did for this problem was find the total surface area of the Earth to be 1.97e8 mi^2 and multiplied by 0.71 to get the water's surface area to be 1.40e8mi^2. Then I multiplied that to 2.1 mi to get volume and found mass using D= m/V and converting to kg. The answer I got was 1.22e15 kg and it's wrong. (This is done on a computer program). I'm not sure if my math is wrong or if I'm making it a lot more complicated than it really is.

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like the correct approach to me. What did you use to get the surface area of the earth? You are mixing units in your explanation of your work -- did you use the correct conversion factors? Maybe post a more complete listing of your work, and we can see if anything pops out at us.

EDIT -- not really "mixing" units...I misspoke. Maybe it's an error in the mass/Volume part?

You seem to have the correct approach, but perhaps you made an arithmetic or unit conversion error. I get this:

Surface area of Earth: 5.1 × 1014 m2
Volume of oceans: 1.2 × 1018 m3
Mass of oceans: 1.2 × 1021 kilograms

- Warren

Last edited:
After looking at all replies I checked my math again and got what chroot got, 1.2x10^21 kg thanks for the help, at least I know that I understand the problem. :smile:

What does it mean when someone says they are making a problem too complicated?

When someone says they are making a problem too complicated, it means they are overthinking or overanalyzing the problem, making it more complex than it needs to be.

Why do people tend to make problems more complicated than they really are?

There are various reasons why people may make problems more complicated than they really are. It could be due to a lack of understanding or knowledge about the problem, fear of failure, perfectionism, or even insecurities.

How can I stop myself from overcomplicating problems?

To prevent yourself from overcomplicating problems, it's important to take a step back and look at the problem objectively. Break it down into smaller, manageable parts and focus on finding a simple solution rather than trying to make it perfect.

What are the consequences of overcomplicating problems?

Overcomplicating problems can lead to wasted time, energy, and resources. It can also cause unnecessary stress and frustration, hindering your ability to find a solution. It may also prevent you from seeing alternative, simpler solutions.

How can I simplify a problem that I have already made too complicated?

If you realize that you have made a problem more complicated than it needs to be, take a step back and reassess the situation. Break it down into smaller parts and focus on finding a simple solution. You can also seek advice from others or brainstorm with a team to find a simpler approach.