Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I think the neighbors below are using something to shock me - can I prevent this?

1. Jul 16, 2009 #1
    When I am on the computer (and even when I am not) sometimes I hear what sounds like a machine. Then, it feels like the floor beneath me is moving. Lately, I have also felt some shocks. I think the neighbors below are doing this on purpose. Is this possible? Whether it's possible or not, is there something I can do to prevent the shocks? They even bother me when I am not on the computer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Talk to your neighbors. Make friends.

4. Jul 18, 2009 #3
    They were talked to twice. They insist there are no problems. Management spoke with them and they said the same thing. There is no getting along in this situation. Can anyone tell me how to stop the electrical shock?

5. Jul 18, 2009 #4

vk6kro

Science Advisor

When do you get electric shocks?

Is it when you have walked across a carpet and then touched metal?

Is it when you have touched a metal pipe that is also an earthing connection?

There is no way I can think of for your neighbors to give you electric shocks.

Or is it physical shocks like loud thumping noise and the floor moving?

6. Jul 18, 2009 #5
    I have experienced the floor moving and the thumping. Lately, I have experienced shocks. I have experienced them while on the computer, sitting down, and laying down. Whether or not it is the neighbors, can you help me stop the shock? Also, it is painful when they hit the ceiling beneath me. Is there a way to stop the pains that I get? (Some way to protect my body? I get headaches and other aches from them hitting the ceiling below me.)

7. Jul 18, 2009 #6

es1

If you are experiencing shocks it is more likely a problem with the building, or one of your appliances, than the neighbors. Has an electrician (preferable) or the landlord looked at your place? I would think this is the fastest route to a solution.

And of course there is always plan B... move.

8. Jul 18, 2009 #7
    Can't move right now. Also, the problem just started recently. I am not the only one who lives in this unit. But, I am the only one having the problem.

9. Jul 18, 2009 #8

negitron

Science Advisor

I would suggest the major problems might be neurological. This is not to say you're imagining things or that your neighbors aren't actually annoying, but experiencing headaches and somatic pains from ordinary, if annoying, noises and experiencing the sensation of shocks in situations where there should normally be none are possible signs of neurological problems which should at least be looked into by a medical professional.

10. Jul 18, 2009 #9
    This is so outrageous. My neighbor is shocking me through the floor? Definitely something wrong with you.

11. Jul 18, 2009 #10

sas3

Gold Member

The only way that I know of to give someone shocks from a distance is with an Ion Gun but I don’t think it would work through the floor/ceiling.
    There is a field detector on the following site that you may want to look into. http://www.amazing1.com/ion-gun.htm" [Broken] it’s at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Jul 18, 2009 #11

negitron

Science Advisor

Allow me to introduce you to an unfamiliar term: tact.

13. Jul 18, 2009 #12
    Welcome to the internet.

14. Jul 18, 2009 #13

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Given that fact, soulmusic, I need to suggest that you talk with your personal doctor about what is going on. There are likely other things going on that we in the EE forum are not qualified to help you with. Please seek professional medical help.

Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook