Why did a 230v electric shock not hurt?

In summary, the conversation discusses a dangerous experience with 230V AC Mains voltage while attempting to repair outdoor lights. The speaker had switched off the power in the area for safety, but was still shocked when attempting to solder new wires onto the light. They question if the hiking boots they were wearing insulated them from more serious harm and wonder what would happen if they touched the ground wire at the same time. The advice given is to not attempt any home wiring projects involving AC Mains voltage and to contact a professional electrician for assistance.
TechTree
Okay here's an example of what not to do when working with 230v... So I was about to repair some outdoor lights so I went to the circuit breaker panel and switched off all the power in that area for safety. I began to remove the light and disconnected the wires, then I was about to install the new light however I needed to solder new wires onto the light, so I went back over to the breaker panel and switched on the breaker for the outlet I was using to power my soldering iron. Just as I went to grab the the wire to solder I got a shock, however it did not feel like 230v just went though me, just a mild tingling feeling. I rushed back with my multi meter only to find that it was indeed 230v. I was really confused why it didn't hurt more, and why it even happened in the first place. After looking at the breaker panel I noticed that there were two breakers connected to the light circuit, one was sharing the same breaker as the outlet I was using. I'm not exactly sure why the lights were using two breakers, but either way it was rather dumb of me to not double check the lights after switching on the outlets. :rolleyes:

So now I'm curious about this, I do need to mention I was wearing hiking boots at the time which was just pure luck that I had been out walking earlier that day. Were the boots responsible for insulating me enough not to get hurt? What would happened if I touched the ground wire at the same time with the same hand? Would it be more dangerous, or just hurt more? Would it just travel through my hand straight to the ground wire, or through my entire body too?
DSC_0046.jpg

Thanks! :wink:

Attachments

• DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 685
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread will remain closed.

@TechTree -- sorry, but we can't discuss this topic in any depth here. It is just too dangerous for newbies to be trying to do home wiring projects using any advice from us. I've been surprised several times by strange wiring (on both AC Mains in houses and schools, and even by idiot re-wiring of car batteries). The best advice we can give you is that 110-240V AC Mains voltages are potentially lethal, and your best bet is to contract with an electrician to help with any work on it.

Please PM me if you want to discuss this further. We would have to conduct any further discussions via my personal e-mail to keep the PF out of the liability loop.

Please be safe.

Likes dlgoff and TechTree

1. Why did I not feel any pain after receiving a 230v electric shock?

The amount of pain experienced after an electric shock depends on the amount of current that passes through the body. At 230 volts, the current is typically not strong enough to cause significant harm or pain.

2. Can a 230v electric shock be fatal?

While a 230v electric shock can be dangerous and cause injury, it is not typically fatal. The amount of current needed to be fatal is much higher, usually around 1000 volts.

3. Why did I experience muscle contractions after a 230v electric shock?

Muscle contractions, also known as tetany, occur when the electric current stimulates the nerves and muscles in the body. This can cause temporary muscle spasms and contractions, but they are not usually harmful.

4. What should I do if I receive a 230v electric shock?

If you receive a 230v electric shock, seek medical attention immediately. Even if you do not feel any pain, it is important to get checked by a medical professional to ensure there are no underlying injuries.

5. Can a person build up immunity to electric shocks?

No, a person cannot build up immunity to electric shocks. However, individuals who work with electricity regularly may develop a higher tolerance to low-voltage shocks due to frequent exposure, but they are still at risk for higher voltage shocks.