I want to be a physicist but I'm not good at math

• Thread starter TheUberPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, math skills are essential for studying physics, but they can be learned and improved with practice. The key is to have a strong understanding of the concepts in order to apply them in mathematical form. This may be challenging, but with the right resources and dedication, it is possible to excel in both subjects.
TheUberPhysics
I always think if is it hard if you are not good at math

Physics news on Phys.org
TheUberPhysics said:
I always think if is it hard if you are not good at math

You don't need to be naturally talented at math to do physics, and your math ability is not static either. Yes, you'll need lots of math to study physics (calculus, differential equations, linear algebra are the basics); look up books by Serge Lang and videos by Khan Academy and start practicing.

clope023 said:
You don't need to be naturally talented at math to do physics, and your math ability is not static either. Yes, you'll need lots of math to study physics (calculus, differential equations, linear algebra are the basics); look up books by Serge Lang and videos by Khan Academy and start practicing.

Thanks dude

I'm taking a college level physics I course right now, and I find it pretty challenging.

The actual figuring isn't hard for me. (Unless you have problems with trig, like me. :D)

It's deriving the pieces of the equation that proves to be tough. You've got to know the material pretty solid, because much of it seems to just build on the previous matter. You are given a few figures as a word problem, and may have to plug that into 3 or 4 different formulas to get your final answer. All the while manipulating the equations as you go to find what you need.

The actual concepts are easy to understand (You have an idea of what something is going to do just by envisioning it,) but it's taking the problem and condensing it into mathematical form that is the kicker. (For some, I guess... There are those in my class who have the opposite problem.)

I would say that it's where the rubber meets the road when it comes to math. You have to know your concepts well enough to be able to pull constants and variables out of formulas to find what you need.

Being a physicist definitely requires a strong foundation in math, as it is the language of physics. However, being "good" at math is not a fixed trait and can be improved with practice and dedication. It is important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace and with the right resources and support, anyone can improve their math skills. Additionally, being a physicist also requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which can also be developed and honed through practice and experience. So, while it may be challenging at first, it is definitely possible to become a successful physicist even if you are not currently strong in math. Don't let your current abilities discourage you from pursuing your passion and don't be afraid to seek help and resources to improve your math skills.

1. Why is math important for physics?

Math is an essential tool in understanding the fundamental concepts and laws of physics. It allows us to quantify and describe natural phenomena, make predictions, and test theories. Without a strong foundation in math, it can be challenging to grasp the complex mathematical concepts and equations used in physics.

2. Can I still become a physicist if I struggle with math?

While a strong understanding of math is crucial for success in physics, it is not the only factor. With hard work, determination, and a growth mindset, anyone can improve their math skills. Many successful physicists have faced challenges with math but have persevered and achieved great success in their field.

3. Is it possible to learn math as I study physics?

Yes, it is possible to learn math as you study physics. In fact, many physics concepts are best understood by applying mathematical principles. As you encounter new mathematical concepts in physics, you can practice and improve your skills by solving problems and seeking help from tutors or professors.

4. What are some resources to improve my math skills for physics?

There are many resources available to help improve your math skills for physics. You can take remedial math classes, seek help from tutors or professors, join study groups, and practice regularly. Online resources such as Khan Academy and Coursera also offer free courses and lessons specifically designed for physics and math.

5. Can I still have a successful career in physics if I struggle with math?

Yes, it is possible to have a successful career in physics even if you struggle with math. While a strong understanding of math is important, there are many other skills and qualities that are valuable in the field of physics, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, creativity, and perseverance. As long as you are willing to put in the effort to improve your math skills, you can still have a successful career in physics.