Should I be an Aerospace engineer or an Astronomer?

In summary, you should take courses in Physics and Mechanical Engineering (Aerospace Engineering is specialized Mechanical Engineering) and see which one's work you like doing more.
Gjmdp
I have this conondrum since long ago, and it's really hurting me. I love both Aerospace engineering and Astronomy, and I know I can study both. The thing is I'll be an Aerospace engineer or an Astronomer. I know I can't be both. I really love Astronomy: Physics, Science, Mathematics; because I think I'm a scientist person. But I also love Aerospace engineering: the space industry, technology...

When I see, for example, physicsforums.com, I really feel I want to be an Astronomer, a Physicist.
But when I search spacex.com, it's like I love with all my heart Aerospace engineering.

What would you recommend me to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gjmdp said:
I have this conondrum since long ago, and it's really hurting me. I love both Aerospace engineering and Astronomy, and I know I can study both. The thing is I'll be an Aerospace engineer or an Astronomer. I know I can't be both. I really love Astronomy: Physics, Science, Mathematics; because I think I'm a scientist person. But I also love Aerospace engineering: the space industry, technology...

When I see, for example, physicsforums.com, I really feel I want to be an Astronomer, a Physicist.
But when I search spacex.com, it's like I love with all my heart Aerospace engineering.

Take courses in Physics and Mechanical Engineering (Aerospace Engineering is specialized Mechanical Engineering) and see which one's work you like doing more.

clope023 said:
Take courses in Physics and Mechanical Engineering (Aerospace Engineering is specialized Mechanical Engineering) and see which one's work you like doing more.
I did so, in EDX, Future Learn, & MIT ocw. And I really enjoyed both of them. I can't compare them, because I love them in different ways.

clope023 said:
Aero Engineering is vastly different from general Mechanical Engineering. If there is an Aero department, it will require Aerodynamics, flight controls, propulsion systems, etc. The OP should take those if they are available to him.

Likes Carlos PdL SdT and Logical Dog
Sometimes in life, you just have to make a decision.

We can help you make an informed choice, but we can't make this one for you.

You might be able to delay the decision for a while, depending on where you're at. Usually the physics-engineering choice can be delayed until about the second year of undergraduate studies, where you have to commit to a program. Even then you're committing to an educational path, not necessarily a career.

Likes Logical Dog
Gjmdp said:

Being both is more attainable than getting paid to be both.

I don't usually allow lack of a paycheck prevent me from pursuing a science or engineering goal I think I can contribute to:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/science-love-money/

An ancient proverb says, "All hard work brings a profit" and I've found that to be true. Even if a project does not pay the bills directly, there is some insight, some knowledge, some blessing, something that will be useful later.

Likes Carlos PdL SdT and elkement
Gjmdp said:

I'm studying aerospace engineering and you do get a basic notion of Astronomy. But only the part which is useful for orbital mechanics and similar stuff. Other things like black holes, dark energy, background radiation, you name it, aren't treated in class because they're "useless" for aerospace purposes.
Still a lot of teachers love astronomy and can teach you a great deal, specially outside of class, but the best way is to learn it by yourself.
I'm pretty sure I just said what you already knew but I hope I could help out at least a little bit

1. Should I choose Aerospace engineering or Astronomy as my career path?

The answer to this question depends on your interests and skills. Both are exciting fields with their own unique challenges and opportunities. Aerospace engineering involves designing, building, and testing aircraft and spacecraft, while Astronomy focuses on studying the universe and celestial objects. Consider what subjects you are passionate about and what type of work you enjoy before making your decision.

2. Is one career path more financially lucrative than the other?

Generally, Aerospace engineers tend to have higher salaries compared to Astronomers. However, both fields offer a range of job opportunities with competitive salaries. It is important to consider your interests and skills rather than solely focusing on potential income.

3. What are the educational requirements for becoming an Aerospace engineer or an Astronomer?

To become an Aerospace engineer, you typically need a Bachelor's degree in Aerospace engineering or a related field. For Astronomy, a Bachelor's degree in Physics or Astronomy is usually required, followed by a Master's or Ph.D. degree in Astronomy. Both fields involve strong math and physics skills, so having a solid foundation in these subjects is essential.

4. What are the job prospects for Aerospace engineers and Astronomers?

The job market for Aerospace engineers and Astronomers is expected to grow at a steady rate. Aerospace engineering offers a wide range of job opportunities in the aerospace industry, government agencies, and research institutions. Astronomy careers are primarily found in universities, research institutions, and government agencies such as NASA.

5. Can I pursue both fields simultaneously?

While it is possible to have knowledge and skills in both Aerospace engineering and Astronomy, it may be challenging to excel in both fields simultaneously. It is recommended to choose one as your primary career path and explore the other as a hobby or side interest. Alternatively, you can also consider a career in Astro-aerospace engineering, which combines aspects of both fields.