1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying I want to study real physics as a beginner

1. Jan 20, 2016 #1
    Physics has always intrigued me and being that I love science, I think this would be a great opportunity to gain knowledge. I am currently a freshman in high school and I find that most of the things be taught here, how should I say this? Boring. Since I want to start physics and being that I am a beginner it would be great if this community would point me at the right direction as to where to start. My goal currently is to find a few books to read and learn about physics as a beginner.

PS. I have no knowledge of calculus

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you want to study real and actual physics, you better start by getting good at math, particularly calculus. So what math are you comfortable with and what math not at all? Do you know trigonometry, geometry? If so, you can start studying calculus.

4. Jan 20, 2016 #3
    I have done SOME geometry and trigonometry, I am currently doing honors algebra and most likely moving up to honors geometry next year when I am a sophomore.

5. Jan 20, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, you need to be extremely comfortable with trigonometry. So you might want to fix that first, and then you can do calculus.

6. Jan 20, 2016 #5
    Where shall I start then?

7. Jan 20, 2016 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Do Geometry, then take Trig or Pre-Calculus.

8. Jan 20, 2016 #7
    Is there a possibility I can read any books? for beginners?

9. Jan 20, 2016 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

10. Jan 21, 2016 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What is "real physics"?

Zz.

11. Jan 21, 2016 #10
    That was my first thought, too. Maybe experiments - as compared to "virtual" pen&paper calculations or computer simulations. But experience tells me that is not what the average person on the Internet considers "real physics".

12. Jan 21, 2016 #11
    Is there anything I can read on? Without knowing calculus or any of the above I haven't started yet?

13. Jan 21, 2016 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There are plenty of pop-science books that you can read, and most of them don't require a lot of math. But that is no different than trying to learn French but by reading an English translation.

I still want to know what you mean by "real physics". As a physicist, I want to know what someone like you deem something to be real physics.

Zz.

14. Jan 21, 2016 #13

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure, there's a lot you can read on without requirement basic high school math. But I wouldn't count any of it as real physics (whatever that means to you, I don't know). You can probably have quite a bit of fun with some experimental physics and chemistry though. They sell quite a lot of experiment kits where you can learn quite a bit of things with. No math required.

15. Jan 21, 2016 #14
    Do you recommend any books?

16. Jan 21, 2016 #15

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Books on what topic exactly? Did you see my link in my previous posts?

17. Jan 21, 2016 #16
    Meaning is there a possibility that I can understand physics without the calculus? That may seem a little odd. Are there any physics books like that?

18. Jan 21, 2016 #17
    Calculus was invented exactly for the reason that it was a logical method for making observational/empirical physics understandable.

19. Jan 21, 2016 #18
    So there's no way of me understand physics if I don't learn calculus/ the basics first correct?

20. Jan 21, 2016 #19
    Nivek study nyc regents physics if you want real physics with no calculus.

21. Jan 21, 2016 #20

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Learn the basics, then take AP physics in high school. If it isn't offered, enroll in a CC while in high school. There's no point rushing, learn what needs to be learned at the moment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted